Accessory Availability for New iPhone Given Rumored Release Timing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacPerforma, Apr 28, 2010.

1. MacPerforma macrumors member

I'm planning on (making a deal with the devil and) switching over to AT&T when the new iPhone is released in June. As this will be my first iPhone, I've never followed iPhone releases as closely as I'm following it this year.

Given the rumor that the new iPhone may be released for sale immediately after it's announced at the WWDC, what does this mean about the availability of accessories? I'm hoping to get some variety of a clear, plastic protective case for my new phone, so how likely is it that an accessory like this would be available when the new phone is released for sale? Would Apple provide some details about the new device (height, width, shape, and other dimensions) to certain accessory manufacturers in advance so that accessories could be manufactured and made available for sale when the phone is released, or are these likely to not be made available until after the initial release? I've never purchased any phone this close to launch, so I'm not sure exactly how accessory availability works.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

(T minus another month and a half or so until I get to ditch Windows Mobile!)

2. maus macrumors regular

3. dhjapple89 macrumors member

Apple has usually released the sizing specs to manufactures ahead of releasing the phone to have cases and protective shields ready for purchase when their devices go on sale. They obviously sign an NDA with Apple.

When the iPad was released a ton of 3rd party cases were available for purchase the same day.

4. skyking517 macrumors regular

This is a good post...I have had my 3GS in a otter box for the last six months, and I am glad I have, I have dropped it a few times since. Im going back and forth with the new Iphone and using the otter box again, cause the phone looks sooo goooood!!! Im sure otter will release something pretty quick, they sell like hot cakes at my local At&t store.

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Thanks for asking this; it's something I've been wondering as well. As my 3GS was my first iPhone and all of the existing 3G cases fit it already, I didn't have a frame of reference to go by.

God, I'm gonna have a #@$&-ton of 3GS cases to get rid of once the new one comes out. :D

6. JDee macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I don't think they'd release information to accessory manufacturers regardless if they sign an NDA.

I know the iPhone 4 has supposedly been leaked, but all Apple needs is a worker in a factory releasing information on the ports etc. and there'll be another law suit.

I know you're all going to flame me for saying "the new iPhone design has been leaked anyway", but we don't know that for sure.