Accessory buying suggestions for new macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim1980, Oct 20, 2008.

1. tim1980 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Just bought my very first macbook pro on Friday evening. I have been waiting for this refresh for almost a long time!

I am not up to speed on technology or what my macbook is capable of supporting. I have a few questions and appreciate some buying suggestions/tips:

1) I got a Canon PIXMA MP480 printer with the macbook pro. Guy at the apple store said it was possible to set it up wirelessly (using Bluetooth?). Do I need to purchase any accessories to accomplish this?

2) WIRELESS MOUSE: Would like to get one of these, any suggestions. Do I need to get one that connects via bluetooth or do I use a wireless one where you have to plug something into a USB port?

3) I currently own a Lacie 500GB Harddrive. It has a Firewire 800, firewire 400, eSATA, and USB 2.0 plugs. Which one should I use with my new mac for optimal performance?

Thanks in advance for your assistance (I know these are probably basic questions for many of you!)

--Tim

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

With the new Macbooks you have to use USB 2.0. You don't have a choice.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

OP said MacBook Pro?

No. Go to System Preferences make sure that Bluetooth is on and then under Print & Fax click on the "+" button then on the Bluetooth logo and you should see your printer. (You will have to place the printer in Bluetooth mode)

Most people have gripes about the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse, I like mine. If you are using a bluetooth mouse you will avoid the USB device because your MacBook Pro has built in Bluetooth, if you are using another wireless mouse you will likely have one. This really depends on what you use your mouse for and what you want it to have.

Firewire 800 over USB 2.0 and 400. Firewire is more stable and transfer then higher speed then even the USB 2.0 burst rates. eSATA is said to be faster but is a pain for most people to get to work on a Mac it seems and requires an adaptor.

Welcome to the side where the grass is greener :D

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Good point. I only read the title.

So yeah use F800. Works really well for Time Machine on my iMac.

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Some of my favorite laptop accessories:

[​IMG]
    Zeroshock laptop sleeve - These are composed of a high-resistance polyurethane foam and provide excellent protection against impact. I have purchased a total of 6 of these so far (iBook, 3 MacBooks, MBP, and ThinkPad). I don't buy a laptop without one of these now.

[​IMG]
    ShaggyMac screen saver / keyboard cover - These lay on the keyboard and cushion the screen when the laptop is closed; preventing damage, scuffs, and other screen marks created by the keyboard. They also double as a "professional grade" optical polishing cloth...perfect for cleaning your screen. Same as with the ZeroShock...these are mandatory for me.

[​IMG]
    iCurve stand by Griffin Technologies - Raises your laptop up to eye level, provides increased airflow underneath to keep it cool, and just looks cool. (unfortunately, these are no longer made...glad I bought mine when I did!)

6. tim1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

"No. Go to System Preferences make sure that Bluetooth is on and then under Print & Fax click on the "+" button then on the Bluetooth logo and you should see your printer. (You will have to place the printer in Bluetooth mode)"

How do I enable my bluetooth on this printer (Canon PIXMA MP480)? I can't seem to figure it out and the instruction manual doesn't say much at all.

Thanks to everyone else for their accessory tips.

7. tim1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what it says on the amazon page for my printer.

"You can also print directly from a compatible digital camera or camera phone even a Bluetooth device via the optional BU-30 Bluetooth interface."

How do I enable the BU-30 Bluetooth itnerface on the printer? Cant seem to figure this one out.. thanks in advance for your help.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

FireWire for the harddrive. Aside from being faster and more stable than USB, USB messes with my Mac's sleep mode. FireWire doesn't. Big plus in my books.