"Accessory not supported" error on Loghtning cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lordofthereef, Sep 28, 2015.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

the lightning cable that came with my wife's 6s is throwing an "accessory not supported" error when plugging it in the car stereo. The strange thing is her previous iPhone 6 cable, which has gotten a little ragged, hence her replacing it, doesn't have an issue. The cable from my 6s plus doesn't have an issue either. We can only replies tar the issue in the car (in a usb wall adapter at home it works fine)

Is there a possibility of getting this replaced by Apple? Or will they just claim they can't replicate it (since it seems to work fine with indoor equipment). I have a hard time believing that this is specific to the stereo since literally all other cables work just fine.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Check/clean all of the contact points for debris or grime. Also, try "jiggling" the cable. There may be nanometer differences and maybe a connection isn't being made? Best of luck.

3. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

It might be because you're using a Loghtning cable;).

If it's a real Apple cable, you should have no problems with Apple replacing it. I've gotten a number of lightning cables replaced and it's usually a 5 minute process. It's based on the warranty on your iPhone or iPad and somewhere I read that they will replace two cables for each device during the warranty period.

4. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, jiggling didn't work. I'll probably just wait and see what Apple says once the stores calm down. I just pulled another fresh one out and she's using that one just fine. Strange.