Accessory recommendation for parent's iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by nephron8, Sep 16, 2012.

1. nephron8, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

nephron8 macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I got iPad 4g for my parents.
    its their first iOS device and I was wondering accessories for buying .

I need your help for selecting best screen protector for preventing smudges on screen without decreasing retina display quality.

I also need solid case for them to carry the iPad.

thanks.

2. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I'm a middle aged person, don't bother with a screen protector, just get them a couple of quality microfiber cloths to clean the screen with. As for cases, you need to consider their viewing habits. I have a leather Photive case that I got from Amazon for under $30 it's got a smart cover front & full rear case, it's served me quite well. I also have a Kensington sling bag with a padded compartment that I carry my iPad in on a daily basis along with my phone, wallet, keys etc.

3. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

Does it have that smart cover function controlled by magnets to automatically close and start screen?

thanks.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

When I purchased mine I saw a group of friends, maybe 5 or so, in line getting iPads. They told each other to get the smart cover. Assuming that the one delegating was those who had the 1st iPad. The age group was 55-up.

I would get your parents just the smart cover. Yes, with the magnet. And a cleaning kit. The iKlear kit is fine and simple to use.

If they want to use a keyboard, then get them a nice keyboard case.

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

I'm 61 and got a smart cover with my iPad 2. I used it for about a week and then stopped.

If your folks aren't going to take it out much I would just put on a skin or something. (I had an iCarbon on my iPad 2 and a Zagg leather on my iPad 3). Makes it nice and light for using around the house. For travel I originally just used a sleeve but then changed to a STM Grip.

My sister however, loves using a stylus on hers. She just likes holding a pen. Your folks might like that and some are pretty cheap.

6. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your kind help.
    I spoke with father and he also said why not put carbon fiber on its back and Smart Cover.
    He liked idea of smart covers.

I also contacted one leather dealer with whom I dealt in past. He is ready to make me genuine leather cover for any design.

I need some ideas for this.

Please suggest any carbon fiber skin and leather case design. Like folio or alike.

Thanks.

7. mdavid727 macrumors newbie

Not really an accessory per se but I got both my parents an iPad and the one thing they both wanted immediately thereafter was a compatible printer to AirPrint documents to. Must be a generational thing to want to print everything..lol

8. mofunk, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

9. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah.
    You are absolutely right.
    They want printer.
    Will figure out. I already have networked laser printer available over wifi.

Thanks

10. nephron8 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to update the thread,

I bought skinomi full body shield and targus folio case.
    Its just leather folio case to keep ipad in.