"Accessory Required" a Nintendo game store scenario

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ipedro, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ipedro, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Guitar Hero Live has been released with an "Accessory Required" label. This opens up a new host of possibilities, the most interesting of which could be Nintendo games officially running on AppleTV.

Nintendo has dismissed putting its games on other platforms before because it wants to stay in the hardware business. However, its most valuable assets are its game IP. The "Accessory Required" option allows for Nintendo to stay in the hardware business while piggybacking on the massive audience of iOS to leverage its game properties which are a goldmine.

Imagine if Nintendo were to sell a Wiimote with a Lighting dock. Dock your AppleTV remote in the Wiimote to play Nintendo games. Playing legacy games like Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda would require that this Wiimote be present. The apps could still launch for example to view other people playing or to interact in a Mii Plaza or to play simple games but to play flagship Nintendo games, you'd have to have a Wiimote.

Nintendo would sell far more games than if they were to sell only to limited audience of people buying their consoles. The console itself has always been a loss leader with Nintendo selling it at cost and sometimes at a loss, making up for it in game sales. I predict that Nintendo games would rush to the top of the App Store making Nintendo far more money, far quicker and on games that have long ago stopped making it any significant revenue.

Besides its iconic games properties, Nintendo is known for its innovative control mechanisms. It wouldn't be limited to one Wiimote controller. Nintendo would be free to develop specialized controllers for different games. For asynchronous play, something like the WiiU game pad could simply be a controller with an iPhone dock. A Wii Fit board for fitness games. A new generation PowerGlove for 3 dimensional control games. A Duck Hunt zapper for shooters. A steering wheel for Mario Kart. Nintendo is known for its accessories. The possibilities are exciting!

Attached Files:

2. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's certainly an interesting idea although considering Nintendos traditionally tight grip on their ip, I can't see them releasing full blown "proper" Nintendo games on anything but their own hardware for at least some time yet.

But you never know in this crazy tech world we live in. Won't matter to me, I've always bought every console ninty makes I've never lost my love for their games since before the NES even launched. Ah, game & watch what fond memories. Damn, I'm getting old :D

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm the kind of person who always pays for music, movies, tv shows and games but the convenience of having all my media on one box — the AppleTV — is proving tempting. I'm considering the illegal route (side loaded ROM app) so that I can get rid of my WiiU. I only keep it for the legacy games.

I'm unlikely to buy their next console so Nintendo will lose my money if they don't offer their content on a platform that's more convenient for me. I truly believe that whatever Nintendo has coming in the NX platform is their last hardware release whether they like it or not. They're already dipping their toes into releasing software for other platforms and with a new leadership, they might pursue that if it proves successful.

I think that Nintendo only has to gain by releasing their games on AppleTV while retaining control over creativity on the hardware side by selling accessories required to play those games.

4. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

I thought Apple was requiring all apps and games to be useable with the Siri remote? Does this mean we're going to start seeing games that are more ...articulate than Crossy Road? I would love to see the big players start pushing out some console quality games on Apple TV that can use Bluetooth controllers like the Nimbus, etc.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I suspect GuitarHero got an exception to that requirement. Though that isn't fair to either other developers, or the gaming community.
    Apple seems to be bent on trying to sink the AppleTV's success.

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I think we can see more exceptions like these on a project by project basis. Just like Apple used to make deals with content producers with the old AppleTV, they could make deals with game producers to usher more complex games on to the App Store for AppleTV.
    A deal with Nintendo could be one of those exceptions. Granted, I don't think that Nintendo is there yet but if their NX platform doesn't succeed, I think that the way forward would be to release games on AppleTV and AndroidTV with a Nintendo hardware controller required for those games.