Accident involving Juice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1creator, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 1creator macrumors member

I had my mbp in my incase sleeve which was in my bag. Threw a half filled juice bottle in my bag that didn't have the bottle cap closed properly(first time i took the mbp to uni, forgot I had it with me). The next time I opened my bag i realized that all of the juice was gone and a pair of cotton gloves inside were soaked. I pull out my mbp to see that the port side has been soaking in the amount that seeped into the incase sleeve. The insides of the ports themselves were not wet, the only thing i noticed to be not working properly was the battery indicator. When I pressed the button with the tissue it got soaked meaning some juice has gotten in. I kept pressing the button with tissues until it was dry.

MBP still works fine but two of the eight lights that indicate the battery are always on now. If I take it to a apple store do you think they'll find traces of the juice and my warranty will be void? I've only had this thing for a week and I hate myself for what happened. Any suggestions on what to do?

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

i would open it up and look inside first.

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

... Don't open it up. If you open it far enough to see the battery indicator light circuitry, your warranty is void anyway. I'd wait a week to see if the lights turn off, and if not, I'd seriously consider just using the machine as normal, with two green dots on one corner. Those tiny LEDs aren't going to make any noticable difference in battery life.

4. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking. I'm fine with that being the only damage done from getting some juice on the port side... Well, I hope that's the only damage that was done.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Dang

That sucks. I hope you are more careful next time around your voidedwarrantybook pro. ;) Sorry I couldn't resist. But yeah your warranty is gone now. A week old too..man...

You might be able to find someone who can clean it up but they would have to be familiar with the macbook construction. Take it to anyone but Apple because they'll check that little box that says "Liquid damage?" on their machines and you'll never be able to get warranty service again.

6. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

Uggh! IT didn't get through any of the ports, The only place juice got through was the battery indicator button and I dried that out. I'm desperate enough to actually go into an apple store and act as if the lights just happened to come on by themselves and see where that gets me. its only been a week!!! ARG!

7. sharkync macrumors regular

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're sick about it - I know I would be. Hope things work out ok.

8. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I think I won't mention it if I ever need to take it in for a repair because I don't think any remains are visible from the inside.

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Pretty sure there will be oxidation and stuff going on if the battery indicator isnt working. And that needs fluid to happen in the computer. Also I would bet atleast 1 of the "moist sensors" is tripped. So you would be pretty much out of luck.

10. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

The indicator is working, it's just that two of the eight lights are always on after the rest have faded out.

This sucks, my harddrive is making a clicking sound and now I'm worried About going in to the apple store for anything

11. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Well here's how I see it. Your warranty is void now. Open it up and figure out what is wrong with the indicator and fix it.

I'm sorry its only been a week and you've already had this accident, but you broke your MBP, not the rest of the mac users. Don't lie or play dumb when it comes to this bud, the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for your mistake with higher prices. Not to mention it is fraud

12. jamin100 macrumors 6502

just play dumb and dont say anything. If they need to replace your hard drive then they shouldn't have to look at the water sensors in the machine.

Dont let the moral police in here say your a bad bad person for doing it, some people think that you should be locked up for life for doing things like this...

13. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

AppleCare is a warranty for manufacturing defects, it's not an insurance program. But I guess it's their[Apple] fault since they didn't water seal the ports and battery indicator :rolleyes:. Chances are that the acids from that juice will eat away at whatever and Apple techs will see the corrosion. If the lights are staying on that's a good hint that there's a short.

14. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

If a part of this laptop not affected by the juice breaks he is not committing fraud by taking it in. For example there is no possible way the superdrive or trackpad could be damaged by what he described. I would let the tech determine that. If they see liquid damage and say "too bad" then you know.

15. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to take it in if anything major happens and see where that goes. It's been a week and the computer is working fine. Hopefully I could get by the first year with out major troubles. After that my credit card extended my warranty and will pay for the costs of repairs. That warranty isn't void is it? I need to go read the fine print for that and make sure

16. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

If it is extended warranty that is void too, if it's a warranty+insurance then it should still work. Warranty usually gets voided as soon as a consumer does something that did or could destroy the computer.

17. 1creator thread starter macrumors member

Agggghh... I'll have to check. The mbp is the most valuable thing I've ever bought ( I'm a first year student attending uni) and I've already screwed up my warranty. Need to be extremely careful with it from now on... you guys have any tips on how to keep the laptop in a healthy condition, things a new mac user/computer noob wouldn't know.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I Gots one!
    Leave it in your dorm from now on.

Or excercise some common sense I.e no juice / soda / liquid in your laptop compartments. Don't worry I did something just as stupid a few years back. I put a FireWire hard drive in the same bag as some chocolate which melted and got in the ports. Problem was I didn't notice it until I had rotated about three cords, so I ended up ditching the enclosure and every FW cable I owned (about twenty)