Accidental Damage Protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lbjandai, May 10, 2008.

  1. lbjandai macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2007
    So I am going to be buying a MBP here in the next month or so, and I wanted to get someting figured out. I know applecare doesnt cover accidental damage, and me, going off to college, who knows what could happen to my laptop. I am pretty careful these days, I lost my first dell laptop to a pepsi spill, so I am thinking I should protect a 2k-3k investment. At my college, you can add on to what you are buying accidental damage protection (i think for life) for $500. However, I read a few threads on here about Amex and Visa having accidental damage protection. Is this true? How do I get it? How long does it cover you?

    With that said, would you reccomend just the credit card accidental damage protection, because its free ( i heard), or get some external company's accidental damage protection?

  2. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2007
  3. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

    Mar 7, 2008
    This question would depend on your card. I know the AMEX charge cards have a damage/theft coverage, but I believe that it is only good for up to 90 days after the purchase, and 10,000 dollars per occurrence (depending of what kind of charge, i.e, green, gold, platinum). Something else that AMEX has is that they will extend your warranty for a year longer than the standard manufacturer warranty.
  4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Please don't. You only waited a half-hour. People will see your thread.
  5. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

    Nov 3, 2007
    check your parent's homeowners insurance coverage. They might be able to add a "rider" that covers your new computer. I have a rider that covers my guitars and amplifiers that covers theft and damage (thrown beer bottles anyone?)
  6. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

    Feb 4, 2004
    ^ + 1

    My renters insurance has accidental coverage specifically for computer(s). It's fairly inexpensive.
  7. lbjandai thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2007
    if its home owners insurance (through my dad's), but i am at college. If it is stolen or damage at college, does that qualify?

Share This Page