Accidental Damage Warranty for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reice23, Mar 17, 2013.

1. reice23 macrumors newbie

I just recently bought a 13" rMBP from the Apple store, and i declined AppleCare at the time of purchase only because im leaving for deployment in a few weeks and if i needed to use it i wouldnt be able to since i would be somewhere out of the country for 6-10 months. I have up until a year after purchase to get AppleCare so i do plan on getting it when I get back from deployment, now i usually buy electronics at the Navy Exchange because they price match and have a good extended warranty that covers accidental damage and they also sell AppleCare but they didnt have the 2013 models instock and wouldnt be getting anytime soon. I just feel more at ease knowing i have a deductible free warranty that covers accidental damage and was curious if there was anything i could purchase anywhere to cover that.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Mine's on my Amex policy. No deductible/excess.

3. Heartex macrumors newbie

Worth Ave Group does and runs around 115.00 a year.

4. saturnotaku, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you have homeowner's or renter's insurance, you can check with your agent to see if you can take out a personal items policy that will cover electronics from damage and theft. The cost is based on what you paid for your Mac, and you'll need to provide a copy of the original purchase receipt and serial number. My machine is about $50/year from State Farm.

Edit: Because it's a separate policy, the premium for your primary homeowner/renter insurance should not increase if you need to make a claim for your Mac.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I prefer WorthAveGroup.com and use 15OFF for a discount at checkout.

6. patrickoneal macrumors newbie

As far as Amex goes, the accidental damage coverage only goes 90 days and only covers up to $1000. This is better than nothing.

Looks like the extended warranty coverage from Amex goes up to $10,000, so it's certainly worthwhile.

I don't think either coverage applies to refurbished products, so if one were to purchase a refurb, it's better just to use whatever card gives the highest cash back.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I use American Express "My Essentials" in the UK. It costs me £10 a month, and covers everything - my camera, every phone in the house, my laptops, etc. It also includes locksmith cover (which was useful when my key snapped in the door last year!) and cash in your wallet too! With no excess/deductible.

Some caveats. I believe you have to have an Amex credit/charge card, anything over £250 has to be registered (< £250 is covered automatically) and they officially only cover items up to £1500, however, they will increase this for 1/2 items if you are a good customer of theirs (they, for example, covered my Retina MacBook Pro which was ~ £2600 - but that's the only item > £1500 I have on it).

No idea if they do a similar thing in the states, but here's the UK link: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/personal/insurance/my_essentials/myessentials.shtml?

8. patrickoneal macrumors newbie

That's what I get for assuming everyone on the internet is American :)

Looks like the UK Amex is better than the American version.