accidental macslaughter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fossicker, Sep 5, 2007.

1. fossicker macrumors newbie

I may have killed my ibook g4 last night. It is the first ibook g4, bought on panther release day.

I spillled water on it, it was on at the time. At first the power connector was green but then it turned off, so I'm afraid. I disconnected everything, took out battery, popped up keyboard. How long do I give it before trying it? And are my odds good that even if the computer is fried the hard drive is still ok? The data are really my biggest worry right now.

I've been needing to upgrade for a while, was just waiting for Leopard (d'oh! so close)

Anyone been through something similar and have any useful tips?

Assuming I need to replace it, but can get the hard drive out into a firewire enclosure, any tips? Does the slurping over of a configuration from an old computer still work when going between powerpc and intel?

2. chex macrumors regular

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

4. DerekS macrumors 6502

Hooray, now you have a great reason to upgrade! :)

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You did it on purpose, didn't you?

I would leave it near something warm for a couple days, although I would be dying to know if it was going to work and would probably try it on the 2 day.

Perhaps let it dry overnight near the fireplace or heater, then try tomorrow.

Good luck.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would not suggest you try and speed up the drying process by using a hair dryer or anything. This can lead to more issues. If you can I would remove the top benzel to allow more air flow to help the evaporation.I would give it a few days. 3-4.

7. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Same happened to me. Ruined my iBook's M-board. data was still their. I got the Mobo replaced and it worked fine.

8. future macnerd macrumors member

If you ever spill something on it again turn it of immediately, flip it upside down (still open), and give it at least 6-8 hours to dry (I usually give it a day)