Accidental Muting of phone calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lordgaino, Jan 18, 2008.

1. lordgaino macrumors member

I have been having a recurring problem where my iphone mutes the microphone while i am on telephone calls. I can only think that the mute button is being pushed by my cheek on the screen when i am talking.

Its really annoying, and i have to take the iphone away from my face and unmute it.

Do you think there is a problem with the phone or am i just holding it incorrectly??

Thanks
    LG

2. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Strange indeed. The iPhone is supposed to turn the screen off when you hold it to your face using the proximity sensor. I suggest next time you are on a phone call, hold your hand over the top of the phone (where the ear piece is) and see if the screen turns off. If it doesn't then I can only assume the proximity sensor isn't working which would be a problem. If it does then perhaps you are not holding it properly?

Let me know how it goes :)

3. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

m477 interesting. I have had this issue as well. I think it could be my cheek as well. I will let you know what happens or if it continues.

4. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Well as it says 2 posts up, the screen actually turns off and removes the sense of any accidental pressing of the screen while holding it up to you face.

If it carries on maybe you should try and see if the actual phone needs replacing.

Or, you could try and use the headphones instead?

5. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

i get this problem, no biggie. you guys rush to get your phone replaced far too quick.

6. mixstar336 macrumors regular

haha i get this too .. ... i realize it after the other side repeatedly says 'hello....hello'

7. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Never had this issue. I would check to see if the screen goes black when it gets close to your face. It should to prevent this exact thing. It was quite annoying when I had my treo and it did this.

8. lordgaino thread starter macrumors member

It is interesting that some of you also have this problem.

When the other person starts saying 'hello hello', then i take the phone away from my face and the screen is always blacked out and takes a moment for it to come back on. When it does come on, i can see the mute button is pressed.

So it isnt the proximity sensor if u see what i mean.

Its just odd. I might pop into the apple store this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

9. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

It could be inadvertently pressed on the way to your face but you would have to be holding the phone in an odd way. Its a possibility. Another thing to just try is do others get the same issue when they use your phone? Have someone receive/make a call on your phone and see if it happens to them. Eliminate all possibilities ya know?

10. shane1598 macrumors member

I have had the iPhone since day 1 and never had this problem untill a few weeks ago. Now it has happend to me about 7 times. I am starting to think that it is a sensor issue cause it never happen in the first 6 months.

11. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I always angle the phone away from my face, but leave it touching my ear... not to prevent pressing buttons, but to keep the screen from getting, well—gross—from the oils in my skin. The microphone is apparently really sensitive... every one has noticed that they can hear everything in the room during calls since I got the phone... so this doesn't create any problems with people hearing me.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

When I am in the car and need both hands on the wheel while talking (I know, I shouldn't do it but NO ACCIDENTS in my lifetime :)) I have muted it 2-3 times....annoying but hey....what can you do

13. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I see what you mean now... this just happened to me!!! :eek: Was on the phone to the misses, and she started going "Hello?... hello?... hello?" I checked the phone, and sure enough, mute was on!!!

I have a feeling it may just be the way I was holding the phone, moving it about a bit as I was talking. Strange how it hits the mute button though :confused:

14. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Its probubly the way you are holding your phone.

The detector is set so that you can block sunlight from comming in contact with the screen (glare) without losing the ability to dial and so fourth.

However the software that judges light from the sensors above the phone speaker are set so you have to be comlpetely covering them inorder for the screen to black out.

This means unless you are rather fat, have huge ears (like yours truely), or hold the ear peace in such a way that your ear is covering the area directly above the top speaker too the metal ring. Then the phone screen will probubly not turn off.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely see if you can repeat...

the situation at the Apple Store, then a replacement iPhone would be in order. Make sure you do your update/back-up on your computer via iTunes. :cool:

16. joshuachay macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem since day one. It has consistently happened to me, but not enough that I could reproduce it.

I was thinking that it could be that mine was jailbroken and some apps were messing with my accelerometer. But since you guys are having the same problem, that's ruled out.

Has anyone have any news whether this is a faulty accelerometer issue or just simply the way of holding the phone?

Cheers

17. insocal macrumors regular

Wondering if you use a case with yours? I had the same problem when I had a case on it. It was covering the Sensor and would prevent the phone from knowing when it was/wasn't brought up to my face. Haven't had the problem at all since using it 'naked'.

18. iBeard macrumors regular

same thing happens to me. haha

19. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Just to confirm my situation here. I have had my iPhone since launch in the UK, and this has happened to me once. My iPhone is all legit running 1.1.3 on o2, and naked as a jail bird!!!

I assume it was the way I has holding it at the time, perhaps a little higher than usual so the sensor was above the top of my ear. It was difficult explaining to the misses that I didn't mute her on purpose :eek:

My sensor works fine, as I tested it whilst on a call, moving my finger on and off of the sensor.

Hope this helps

20. lordgaino thread starter macrumors member

I do not use a case, my phone is as it came out of the box with no software mods.

although actually now i think about it, i havent had the problem since i upgraded to 1.1.3 last week.

i will keep u all updated if it happens again.