iPhone X accidental notes deletion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themaestro, Jul 30, 2019.

1. themaestro macrumors newbie

themaestro

For some reason I fell asleep with my phone in bed last night. I've just discovered that a page of my notes which included a very important To Do list has been replaced by "jjjjfffllffllel" etc. I used to be able to find deleted notes in the bin but can't now for some reason. Any help appreciated.

I did notice last few days that phone was opening without the need for Face ID (I've been trying the beta version of the new iOS)

2. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

Yes I am on iCloud. However, it seems that in my sleep I lay on the phone and selected all and wrote gobbledy gook over it. I have no idea how. Like I said Face ID seemed to have stopped working.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you last iCloud backup was PRIOR to you over writing you notes, you should be able to restore your device to get your note back.

4. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

I logged on to iCloud.com this morning and unfortunately it has the same "edit"

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You device must have been plugged in or has been plugged in for a backup to occur.

Sorry but it does not look good.

6. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

It was not plugged in.

7. Ifti macrumors 68020

Ifti

Notes backup to iCloud as soon as edits are made - not when the entire handset performs an iCloud backup.
    Unfortunately I don't think there are any 'recent versions' etc with Notes to refer back to.....

8. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

"Restore your last backup" does not mean "look at the online version of Notes". How old is your last backup?

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

This!

10. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

Last back up 7th July. For some reason my iCloud backup is reading as off now.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Best you could do is recover your notes from that date.

If you are not going to back up to the cloud, you need to do local backups to iTunes.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

Of course it won’t be in the trash bin, as you didn’t delete the note—you overwrote it.

Restore from previous iCloud backup and you should be able to recover it (though everything else on your phone will be rolled back as well).

13. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Which is also irrelevant.

If you want to get this note back, back the phone up to iTunes. Then restore the previous backup. Get what you want out of it. Then restore the backup you just made.

14. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

Thank you. How would I restore from a previous iCloud backup?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2019 ---
    Yes sometimes I backup to iTunes. Problem is, when I connect my iPhone to my MacBook Pro it asks to update the computer. I'm avoiding updating the computer because I have a version of software programme I use all of the time and I do not like the new version. One more update and I will have to use the new software version (they made major changes I do not like at all)

15. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

Odd thing is i shook the phone to Undo typing and the phone did not respond. Perhaps a flaw in beta 13 iOS?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2019 ---
    I've just remembered I have an old iPhone 7 that I can connect to MacBook and attempt to restore the missing note to that.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

Best of luck!

17. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

Cheers, really appreciate everyone's advice on here.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yep let us know how the story end.

Do hope you initiate a regular backup regime. I back up to the cloud nightly but still do full iTunes encrypted backups weekly. My data is critical to me and my company.

19. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Never, ever, let the phone be authoritative.

20. Ifti, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

Ifti macrumors 68020

Ifti

A restore to an earlier backup will not help here IMO.
    Notes are stored to icloud as soon as edits etc are made. The icloud version of the Note has already been overwritten.

If you restore a backup, the handset will revert back to a previous date, but when you open notes it will use the most up to date version in icloud to restore your notes, so you have the most recent version. And that version is the one you have overwritten already.

Its similar to mail. If you delete an email (permanently), restoring from an earlier backup wont restore the email too, it will use your most current mailbox.

Even with a local restore from iTunes - as soon as you connect your handset to your icloud account it would drag down the most recent version of your notes along with other icloud data. Its Apples way of ensuring everything is up to date and as you left it....

Unfortunately its a pitfall of using Notes. Try contacting Apple?

In which case its not something I would store only on an iPhone - its something I would store on a laptop in addition, and have multiple external backups of.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

As long as I have backups, it is not.

22. themaestro thread starter macrumors newbie

themaestro

I tried to load my iPhone X data into my old iPhone 7. It kept taking 20 minutes etc & then at the end said it could not be done due to error. Pity the error note didn't appear 1st.

If it had loaded I could have disconnected phone from cloud, and simply emailed the backed up notes to myself, then cut & paste to a new note etc.

23. poutylips, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019

poutylips macrumors newbie

poutylips

If only you contacted me right after you had this problem, I’d be able to advise you the steps on how to revert your notes back to the unedited state.

24. djdsas macrumors member

Shake to undo is the only thing that might work.

Been there done that.