accidental screen touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    on my new iphone 4 I had about 5 or 6 instances yesterday where I was on a call and then my face accidentally was pressing buttons on the screen. twice my face decided to call a couple of my friends. Once it decided to call my voicemail. and a few other times it just wanted to go to the keypad and start just randomly pressing buttons. Oh yeah and also it created a contact with the name "yh" My face sure is busy when it's supposed to just be having a conversation!

I never had this issue with my 3G. This can only lead to 3 possibilities. the proximity sensor doesn't always work properly, the sensor is in a different location that I'm not used to, or the screen is still activated even while darkened.

I have tried testing these things for about 5 minutes on a call and everything seems to be working perfectly under my evaluation. Has anybody else had any issues?

2. Apple iMe macrumors newbie

Nope. All working perfectly. The only thing I noticed was the crystal clear voice quality :D

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I believe you can have the phone replaced for proximity sensor issues.

4. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Same here with mine.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This is a very common issue and has been reported on the iPhone 3G and 3GS with iOS4 (not just iPhone 4).

As such, it looks like a bug with iOS4 that can be corrected.

6. Andru1313 macrumors regular

Mine does the same thing. I noticed if I move my face away or tilt the phone against my ear it does this. Really annoying.

7. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

I have the same issue. It's freaking annoying. my 3gs never had problems like that.

8. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Yesterday night I did experience this issue! Since I don't use "phone" feature much I did not see that until yesterday when I had a long phone call conversation.

9. redman042 macrumors 68020

I have not had issues with my face activating a button, but it must be luck, because I've tested the proximity sensor with my hand and my face and it does not appear to be working.

I'm going to sit tight for a few weeks and see if Apple corrects through an update. Otherwise I'll take the hardware back and swap it. No hurry given this is the first batch, supplies are limited, and what the heck I might as well get some use out of this unit before swapping it for a fresh one ;)

10. twelve56 macrumors member

11. Iphonelvr macrumors member

While i was on the phone with Apple about the reception issue I asked about this as i am having the same problem. They said it was a known issue.( unless Steve says its not ):rolleyes::D

12. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    whoops sorry I didn't see that one :eek: and I did look.

but the strange thing is that it DOES work whenever I test it, that's why I was wondering if I was just "holding it wrong" which is probably what steve would tell me if I emailed him ;)

But is Apple even replacing iPhone 4's yet? I'm afraid that I might have to wait a week or two before they have enough in stock to replace mine.

13. christyn macrumors 6502a

Yep, never had this happen on my 3GS but seems to happen a lot of my IP4.

14. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Some readers (me included) reported mostly fixing the problem by a hard reset. It didn't fix it 100% for me (I believe that's coming in a SW update) but when I called Apple to report the issue, it happened on that call no less than 6 times. Since the reset it's only done it once.