Accidental unlocks fixed in Beta 4?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kmj2318, Jul 31, 2013.

1. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I don't know if this was covered, but I think the lock screen is more discriminating in how it registers an unlock. I think that they changed it so that your finger has to travel in a more "left to right" motion, otherwise, the screen just snaps back into place. I don't know if that makes sense, but basically before, you could drag your finger nearly strait up and slightly to the right and it would still unlock. Not that anyone ever unlocks their phone that way, but I bet that's how it gets unlocked accidentally. Now you need to be within a certain cone shaped area, and if the path of your finger gets oddly interrupted (like if you drag your finger strait up halfway into the slide), the unlock will fail.

Has anybody else noticed this?

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I think you're right! Gonna try putting the phone back in my pocket, screen facing leg for a while & see if it's fixed.

The music controls are still persistent on the lock screen but if I press the home button several times they will go away but when the screen turns off and back on, the persistent music controls are back.

IMO the music controls aren't even needed now that we have control center but at least return to the previous double click to show music controls as before.

3. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Not seeing that. On beta 4 and made 14 pocket calls today to my fav restaurant. Good thing they know me well.:(

4. kaiseryeahhh macrumors regular

kaiseryeahhh

Only unlock with finger, if not touch the iphone, not call.

5. SA Spyder, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013

SA Spyder macrumors regular

So after 13 calls it didn't become apparent to you to maybe put a passcode on or to make your phone face the other way?

6. Tubamajuba, Jul 31, 2013

Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

The more likely scenario is that all 14 calls were placed in succession and he didn't find out until the next time he looked at his phone.

7. JohnLT13, Jul 31, 2013

JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Yea, well unlike most people I do not have my nose in my phone all day. My work involves lots of machines that make lots of noise. As far as your condescending demeanor is concerned what I do with my phone has nothing to do with you.

----------

This.

8. BHP41, Jul 31, 2013

BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Just for S&G's. how did you realize that you had made 13 calls?

9. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I call my wife at lunch everyday. Saw I had voicemail from restaurant. Cindy left me a funny message regarding my calls and told me about todays special (goat cheese and blueberry pizza) Stopped and got two for dinner.:D we had a good laugh about it and I showed her IOS 7. She loves it BTW.

10. Geniva macrumors newbie

"You're using it wrong" is not a valid answer, especially in beta. The phone has always been designed since 2007 to minimize accidental screen touches, be it through the proximity sensor, lock screen, etc. Functions of the phone should not be able to activate while in your pocket and design choices must be made to minimize this as much as possible.

11. SA Spyder macrumors regular

Well instead of swiping an eighth of the screen to unlock the phone, it's the whole screen now. Remedy? Make the phone face the other way, away from the skin.

I mean it's not exactly a dealbreaker, is it? Galaxy S3 has an lockscreen that unlocks when you swipe in any direction (the water effects one) and I never hear people complaining about it.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps there's something more to it then just the general area of where swiping is allowed now?

13. SA Spyder macrumors regular

Well there's always making the phone face outwards. That'd probably fix it. Unless you're constantly stroking your legs.

14. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I don't know why they are not using the proximity sensor to disable the screen to prevent accidental swipes..

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It uses quite a lot of power, so having it on 24/7 would drain the battery quickly.

The other problem is that the sensor can be too sensitive sometimes, so you could find that putting your hand in front of the screen would trigger the sensor and stop you unlocking the phone.

16. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Ok was this thread edited by a mod or something? because my replay is gone and some of the replays from other people are missing too? What gives?

17. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Mods here have a knack for censoring the hell out of everything. Get used to it.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like simply a bunch of pointless personal attacks and name calling type of posts were removed. No real loss of any kind as far as actual on topic discussion.

19. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

But the PG-5 filter gets kind of old pretty fast.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Pointless stupidity gets old faster. Anyway, not what the thread is about.

21. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Ok, I've found that the screen itself has gotten better with the accidental unlocks but if there is a notification on the screen, that one has the same sensitivity as previous betas & will fully unlock the phone. :confused: