"Accidentally" bought a rooted N5!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by nooaah, Jan 28, 2014.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I placed a somewhat low bid for an N5 on ebay before my flight, tonight. Checked in and found out I won, unexpectedly! It arrives this week. It's already rooted. Are there any threads that would point me in the direction of the best apps/roms for this particular device? Thanks!

PS: Already searched - maybe I didn't run the right keywords!:confused:

2. viskon macrumors 6502

XDA is your next step. Go to the N5 section and look for the rom you want.

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

XDA Forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5

As for ROM's, it is a personal thing. Depends on if you like stock, AOKP or some variant in between. But, you don't have to use a ROM. You are already rooted, so you could do your own tweaks with the Xposed Modules.

Personally, I would stay with the stock ROM and learn the system first.

4. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I concur, this is sage advice.

If one takes responsibility to learn Android, it assures an enjoyable experience.

5. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

6. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

I think 750 usd. The screen is cracked but I think I got a good deal.

But seriously I think I bid 430 for the 32gb. Comes with two wireless chargers and a good case. Probably wasn't the best I could do but I didn't expect to win haha. I upped the other bid by $5 and I think I was the 70th bid.

Whatever, I'm excited. Thanks all, I'll get to reading and hopefully have a decent gameplan when it delivers on Friday!

7. steviewhy macrumors regular

Are you having a laugh? :D

8. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

So did you pay $750 or $430?

Either way you got hosed.

9. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

wut?! You paid 750usd/430usd for a cracked screen nexus 5 lolwut

10. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

You paid nearly twice the retail value for a damaged phone? :eek:

11. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Holy god the screen isn't cracked. It's new and I basically paid full retail but got a case and a couple chargers. I didn't make this thread to examine if I got a bargain haha.

12. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

This is a very confusing post.

13. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

See the last post. The 750 & cracked screen = joke people took seriously

14. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

You could have bought a brand new one cheaper. I hope they did the root process correctly and you don't have any problems with the phone. I would wipe the phone out and start fresh. you never know what was installed or what security features have been disabled from the previous owner.

From the Google Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_white_32gb&hl=en%2Findex.html%3Futm_source%3Doffn%2Findex.html%3Futm_source%3Doffn

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Not really, the play store price is $399, but after tax it would be more depending in where the op lives. Plus he also got 2 wireless chargers and a case.

As for the other things you mention, your right on, you never know what the previous owner could have done it, best to start fresh.

16. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Please flash back to complete stock before using the phone yes
    Then you can root again if you want.

17. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I can see the joke now, it just didn't seem like an opportune time to crack one :D

18. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I was trying to emphasizing the benefit of buy a new device. You don't know what the pervious owner has done to the phone. What abuses if any it has endured. If the price is close to new then it is better to buy new.
    The phone comes rooted so questions i would have are:
    1) what root method was used? In case it ever has to be unrooted so to speak.
    2) Was the boot loader unlocked as well? How was this done? Did it void the warranty?
    3) what recovery is installed?
    4) The previous owner had root access. So you never know what exploits have been installed. They could be reporting back all app info including any mobile banking or financial information. So there is a need to return to stock and do the root process all over again. Sometimes you have to know what was done to the device to undo it....

19. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Oh god, who cares? It's not even my primary phone. Get over it.

20. Sensamic macrumors 68030

So how much did you really pay¿

More than what a new one costs¿

21. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Agreed with the posters above that you should flash back to factory before you do anything else. It is a relatively easy process, which can be made even easier with Wugfresh's Nexus toolkit (though you should learn to get comfortable with ADB and fastboot if you're going to do a bit of flashing/ROMing). There probably isn't any malware left by the previous user, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

22. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Paying full retail on a used phone doesn't seem like a low bid.. Glad you're happy with it though.

23. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

Ugh with the semantics. I was the 70th bid and only raised it by the minimum. I wasn't expecting to win. I'm still not unhappy with the result considering the condition of the device and the accessories it came with. All brand new would've been pushing $500.

And the seller is 100% positive with over 100 sale reviews. I'm getting all madbro now! Jk. Anyway, this seems like my ideal android experience. I hate my iphone as my business traveler. Impossible to type with and the screen is too small for the types of documents I work with. Liked my Note 3 for the hardware but Samsung ruined it for me. Couldn't get past the software.

I'm really big into high quality audio. The iPhone stinks for this without an external dac. How has the Nexus faired?

24. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Because you paid nearly twice the retail value of a brand new nexus 5, for a 2nd hand damaged phone and you acted like you got a good deal.

25. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

facepalm