Accidentally Converted HD Movie to SD on iMovie-- irreversible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Denier10, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Denier10 macrumors newbie

I just got back from a three week trip out west. It was amazing-- went to Petrified Forest, Sedona, Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Rocky Mountain, and many other amazing places. I got a Vado HD camera specifically for the trip.

All of the video I took, I imported to iMovie HD, then deleted from the camera. I did not realize that when I created the project in iMovie, that I had to specify the video quality (it seemed like common sense that if I was uploading HD quality video, I wouldn't want it to downgrade the quality to SD). But sure enough, that is exactly what iMovie did. It changed my entire video to standard definition. I did not realize this was happening until I got home, and I now feel like I have had the wind knocked out of me. It seems like this is irreversible and like I am just stuck this poor quality video, which is such a shame. I can't believe that iMovie would import my HD videos and degrade the quality without so much as a pop-up box saying "are you sure you want to do this?"

Anyways, I am guessing that what happened is really just over and done with. I don't guess that iMovie is just "showing" the video in SD, and that the HD files are still hidden away somewhere. But I thought it would be worth running by, just in case. Is there any hope?

What iMovie did to the video was really horrendous. For instance, I recorded a video of me interacting with a skunk at night, in which you could actually see the skunk relatively clearly. After iMovie converted the video, you can't see anything-- absolutely anything. Whatever was in the original video is now completely gone. I am just so disgusted. Why in the hell would anyone who filmed a video in HD want their program to turn it into SD, low quality video? And why wouldn't the program even inform you that it was happening?

I now know the cause of my error: when I make a new project, I had to click on this tiny button on the bottom that said "video quality" and change it to HD. But I did not know that, and I am really upset about what happened to my videos.

Anyways, thanks for any help =( :(

2. Denier10 thread starter macrumors newbie