Accidentally deleted all my emails in mail - NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jawad7, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jawad7 macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm using OX 10.6.7 and Mail. I've got a couple of years worth of mail on there and was adding my gmail to mail so that all my email comes through in one inbox. I accidentally deleted the mailbox of my current email (by clicking the minus button) under preferences and accounts. Gone to my inbox and all my emails have disappeared.

Is there anyway of restoring this? Help much appreciated. They've got to be there somewhere.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try re-adding the account that you deleted?

3. jawad7 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried it but not happening. It's a pop account and all emails downloaded to mail.

There's got to be someway to restore. It didn't even ask me if I was sure if I wanted to delete.

4. aicul macrumors 6502a

5. jawad7 thread starter macrumors member

yes - fortunately I did a time machine backup only on sunday but my time capsule is back home and I'm currently away for a couple of weeks.

Is there anyway of restoring? If not - what's the best way of restoring from time machine. I've never actually had to use it before.

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Good to hear that you have a TM back-up.

If you need access to emails in a hurry the only way is to use data retrieval software. The directory data has been deleted but everything else should still be sitting on your disk somewhere until they get overwritten. So if you have really important emails you need to access quickly stop using your Mac right now to avoid overwriting them and get some data rescue software to retrieve them.

7. jawad7 thread starter macrumors member

Having thought about it - I don't need them urgently. I guess it was just in the panic of deleting them all. I can hang on till I get back home.

What's the best way of restoring my inbox from last sunday in time machine? I've never actually had to use it before in all these years. I knew i would one day and it would come to the rescue!

Do i just open up mail and open time machine and go back to last sunday and click restore?

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep. That's the exact process.

jW