Accidentally deleted an applications folder, now copied improperly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AwesomeWithAQ, Jul 29, 2009.

1. AwesomeWithAQ macrumors newbie

I accidentally deleted the applications folder under my user directory. I made a duplicate from the hard drive directory and put it under user, but when I add new applications to one, it does not show up in the other like it used to. I guess I had a wrong idea of what duplicate does. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. - Quinn

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You don't need two copies of the Apps folder.

The one in your user folder is just for apps you would like only that user to access. Right now, it sounds like you have two copies of every app, that's bad.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You must have had something called an 'alias' I think. You can one of these by right clicking on any file/folder and selecting 'Make Alias' and then moving it to wherever you want that shortcut.

Usually, the sidebar already has 'Applications' in it.

An alias is a shortcut, which meant you opening it would take you right back to the original Applications folder at the top of your hard drive. By duplicating it, you have made two separate copies. There should only be one copy, and that's at the top of your hard drive (alongside System, Users, Library)

4. AwesomeWithAQ thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have copies of everything now, and my hard drive is very mad at me. I feel like a total n00b. I did wonder what alias was all this time. I shall go ahead and make an alias. I don't have applications in the sidebar, how might I get it there? Also, is there any danger in just deleting this new copy of the app folder? Should I do it in a specific way? Thanks for all your help guys.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. AwesomeWithAQ thread starter macrumors newbie

Truly did copy it as opposed to duplicated it?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Copy, as opposed to moved.

8. AwesomeWithAQ thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, good stuff. Thanks so much for your help. Also, your youtube videos are great. Have a good one!