accidentally deleted cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kari511, May 17, 2012.

1. kari511 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Im new to this and have very little experience with the subject. i recently purchased an att&t iphone4s i jailbroke it and had cydia on there but recently i accidently deleted cydia. i have read other threads but since im new to this i dont really know how to resolve this issue. i do not have ssh, ifile, or anything like that (nor know how to get it). I do not want to restore the iphone since i do not know how to jailbreak it from ios 5.1, and getting cydia back is my only option for unlocking this phone which was the intended outcome of all this.

thanks in advance

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

It's like accidentally getting a DUI - you accidentally stumble and fall into your car, drop the keys and they fall into the ignition, then as you flail around trying to get out, you accidentally operate the gas pedal and wheel. Happens all the time - ask any officer of the law :)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    You gotta really mess up and do things you're not supposed to in order to remove cydia.
    Its not just a simple click and oops it went away.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Yep - on a serious note, though, can OP just run RedSn0w and "install Cydia" at the JB screen? I've never had to do it, so I'm a bit curious (from a technical standpoint - not that I ever plan on having to test it out, lol).

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

i have had to rejailbreak phones having addicentally deleting required files while SSHing. as long as the iOS was intact there shouldn't be any issue.

However if you reset all settings you may run into some issues.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think so for the 4S.
    You will have to go thru ssh I believe. Copy some files and run some commands to unpack cydia again.

9. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Interesting - didn't know if rejailbreaking overwrote existing needed files. I've always heard that you're not supposed to jailbreak OVER a jailbreak - always restore first...

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I re-jailbroken phones to update the file system when new versions of Redsnow or other JB programs have been released. new had an issue since the 3Gs.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Correct, he can't do that for the 4S. If he has iFile he can do it very easily by downloading the Cydia deb file and installing that way. Otherwise, he could go into Mobile Terminal and use aptget to install. Plenty of threads around here about how to do all this.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There you have it.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Please tell us how you accedently deleted Cydia though we could use the entertainment.

14. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

If you install Cydelete, does that let you delete cydia from the homescreen?

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Only if you mess with the options, which you'd be an idiot to do. I believe they even have a warning about it.