Accidentally deleted Disk Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Haarball, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Haarball macrumors member

Unless there is somewhere I can download it, could someone send it to me/upload it? I've got Tiger.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. Haarball thread starter macrumors member

4. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

Still Need Help?

If you still need a copy of disk utility, i can give it to you. It would be a copy off a leopard machine, but should still work.

5. sawmaster macrumors regular

if the leopard version doesn't work, then i'll give you my copy. i'm using leopard, but my previous systems folder should have a copy.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Great Link thank you thats bookmarked.

7. ndel macrumors newbie

Is it possibly for anyone to .zip the file and send it to me?

8. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

give me an email and i will send you it right now. you can private message me if you don't want to post your email here.

9. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I don't think it is a good idea to be talking about giving someone software for free.

10. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

What would he do ask to pay for something that was free with the mac?

11. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

That 'Free" software comes on the Apple Install Disk. That disk is NOT free.

12. ndel macrumors newbie

I have version 10.4.11 and discovered that the versions that were out with leopard don't work with tiger because a friend of mine had her installation disks with her on campus and I tried to extract the file and it worked but it told me that I couldn't use that version because I needed to update to leopard.

i couldn't find the private messaging link on this forum but I enabled the ability for other users to send me emails if that works?

13. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Still it isnt even like he could buy it again. I guarantee if you apple saw this they would not be upset. Im sure the genius that doesnt have to waster his/her time with this at the apple store will be thanking the person that sends him the file.

14. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yes they could:
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Mac+OS+X+Tiger+10.4+DVD&hl=en&aq=f

I don't know of any company that would agree with this. How would that even work? If you ran a company, would you care if people weren't paying for products? I pretty sure a strict company like Apple would care.

15. ndel macrumors newbie

That's $350 I don't have to spend.. sending the file through email is the same as me going to a friend and saying "hey can i borrow your installation disks" I don't need the whole operating system I need one application

Edit: if there was a way for me to buy this application again i would, but not the whole operating system

16. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

Why would he buy the whole os again for a little piece of software? And a company that would make a customer do that is a company i would not want to buy from.

17. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Thats a search engine and if you took the time to search, there is a copy for $40. Yes I do realize that this seems stupid, but I didn't write the rules, Apple did.

18. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

I understand where your coming from, but honestly, if you emailed Apple and told them someone was sending someone a copy of Disk Utility, which I did, they would probably laugh. Just saying, it is such a small app they do not have time to care.

19. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I do agree, but does MacRumors care? I think this thread violates some of their guidelines.

20. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

So maybe the advice should be - ask Apple. See what they say and then approach this.

21. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

I agree, because it's not like he needs the whole installation disc, hell Apple may even beat all of us to the punch. :p

22. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Don't make a big deal out of this.

To the original poster:
    Exactly WHICH version of Tiger do you have?
    Version 10.4.??

23. iaokim macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, I have Tiger 10.4.11 on my Macbook and I accidently deleted disk utility a while ago and never really tried to get it back because I didn't need it. Well now I need it to partition my external hard drive to HFS+ and I have searched everywhere trying to find a place to download it. I mean it is a free utility that comes with any Mac OS, it is easier to find snow leopard downloads than it is to find this one little utility! So if anyone has the tiger version of Disk Utility and would send it to me then that would be awesome!

And it has to be the tiger version, if you install the leopard or snow leopard version then it won't work.

Also I would have used Pacifist (which is a great tool) to get it off my install disk but I lost that quite a while ago.

Thanks.

24. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Download it from here, the working link is not any DOWNLOAD image button, but on the bottom right, where it says "Save file to your PC: click here".

25. Valeputar macrumors newbie

Disk utility for Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Hi all!

I dont even know how I did it, but I accidentally deleted disk utility, too. Does anyone know how to get me a copy? I cant get my installation disk at the moment.

Also, if there isnt a way, would updating to Lion get me disk utility again? And do I have to save all my files on an external harddrive in order to update? If so, that is not an option atm either...

Thank you for any help!