Accidentally Deleted Entourage 2008 Identity; E-Mails Still Exist; How to Recover?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ethanjrt, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ethanjrt, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

ethanjrt macrumors newbie

I stupidly, and permanently, deleted my most recent Entourage 2008 identity; my e-mails, contacts, and to-do items are now set back two months to my latest backup.

However, the information from that database must still exist: when I do a search on my computer for phrases from the past two months' e-mails, I get results in the "vrge08_message" format. Unfortunately, while I can search freely, I can't open the e-mails: when I try, Entourage gives me the error, "Entourage cannot open this item. To view the item, switch to the Main Identity [Backed up 2011-05-24 11.07] identity." But as that identity has been permanently deleted (I'm sure of it), choosing Switch Identity from the Entourage menu isn't doing anything for me.

The e-mails in question are located in
    Home-->Library-->Caches-->Metadata-->Microsoft-->Entourage-->2008-->Main Identity [Backed up 2011-05-24 11.07]. I tried copying and pasting this folder (which I find suspiciously /small/ in size) into Home-->Documents-->Microsoft User Data-->Office 2008 Identities; this did make an identity of that name appear in the Switch Identities option, but Entourage treated it as new/empty, and when I tried to open the e-mail files that appeared in my search after going through the identity setup wizard, I got a new error: "Entourage cannot find this item. It may have been deleted or renamed."

So:
    1. Given that all or most of the information I want /still exists/ on my computer, how do I get those e-mails integrated back into my Main Identity?
    2. If that's not possible, is there a way to selectively download the past two months' e-mails from the server? (I use G-mail with POP3.)

Note: I have used "Recent Mode" as a temporary solution, but I'm still missing a month's worth of e-mail, as well as To-Do events (I promise I will use iCal from now on...), flags, etc etc etc. If there's a better option, I'd love to hear it.

I have tried using the Database Tool to verify, compress, back up, repair, etc., to no avail.

Any help would be infinitely appreciated.

~Ethan

2. cbronfman macrumors 6502

?

So you went to Microsoft User Data under your home folder and deleted the database in that? And, you don't use Time Machine to back-up? If you do, that identity is in your Microsoft User Data BU.

3. ethanjrt thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I deleted that database.

No, I don't have a Time Machine backup more recent than the backup Entourage identity from May that I'm working with now.

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

The info you found is the Spotlight cache files. Without the Identity these files won't do you much good unless you have access to a computer with Tiger installed.

Get this script Recover Mail from Spotlight Cache files (Tiger only)

Have you checked the Trash?