Accidentally Deleted Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juststranded, Dec 23, 2008.

1. juststranded macrumors regular

PLEASE HELP!

WHAT'S THE BEST RECOVERY SOFTWARE.

I tried to erase my external drive in disc utility (from install disc) so I could rename it, because it had the same name as my internal drive. When I did that, they both got erased.

HOW CAN I RECOVER MY INTERNAL HARD DRIVE!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. THANK YOU!

2. dcMobile macrumors member

DO NOT take it to a place that does drive recovery.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

$99 is a very reasonable price. It'll take some time, and you'll need another drive to put the contents onto, but I've used this several times with success for my clients. Provided you haven't zeroed out your machine, and that your hard drive isn't physically failing, you'll be set.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

you didn't have to erase that external to rename it... you just rename it as you would with any file or folder.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How on earth did it allow you to erase the volume you (presumably) were booted from?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't think the OP is telling us what really happened.

6. duncanm macrumors member

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I don't understand why you'd go into the Leopard Install Disc just to rename your external drive, Disc Utility is a part of the installed apps that come with Leopard, you could've just renamed it that way, I call something else is going on here.

EDIT: Damn, themoonisdown09 beat me to it.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, if I remember correctly, Disk Utility won't allow you to erase the boot up volume. That is, only if you do this under OS X. If you booted from the restore disc and launched Disk Utility, you can erase/format any hard drive connected whether internal or external.

9. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

In his post he said the he erased from the INSTALL disk. Now, why he would do that is beyond comprehension.

10. juststranded thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, then. Here's the long story:

My MacBook Pro crapped out and won't boot from the internal drive. I bought an external FireWire drive and dicded to just use disk utility from the install disk to "Restore" the internal drive to the external.

For some reason they both had the same name ("Macintosh HD") even though when I plug in the external to another computer it's called "LaCie". Anyway, I wanted to erase the external and change its name anyway so I could "Restore" the real "Macintosh HD" to it (can't restore if they have the same name). I guess I assumed that the computer was smart enough to know that the drive I clicked is the drive I wanted erased (and that it would use the serials to determine the correct drive) but I guess I was wrong, and it just erased both of them.