Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sicarius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Tennessee.
Ya know, the "Documents, User, Music, Library" folders on the left of the finder? I accidentally deleted the Movies one, and I need it back. Does anyone know how to make a new one with that little image on the folder? Also, for some reason OS X has been asking for a password when I delete and move things, despite the fact I'm using the admin profile, and I don't have FileVault on. Can anyone answer these questions?

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
Not sure about why you're being asked for a password, but to get the movie folder back, navigate through the User directories to get to the movie folder in the finder window and then drag it over to the left pane.

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
Ya know, the "Documents, User, Music, Library" folders on the left of the finder? I accidentally deleted the Movies one, and I need it back. Does anyone know how to make a new one with that little image on the folder? Also, for some reason OS X has been asking for a password when I delete and move things, despite the fact I'm using the admin profile, and I don't have FileVault on. Can anyone answer these questions?

I'm not sure but try repairing permissions with disk utility to set correct permissions it might solve password problem, to get movies folder on finder side bar just goto your home folder drag and drop on to side bar.

Hope it helps :)

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
As said by gavd and Jonx, navigate into your home folder (double click "Mac HD", click into "Users" -> "Your home folder").
Here you see the following folders: "Applications", "Desktop", "Documents", "Library", "Movies", "Music", "Pictures", etc.
Drag the folder icon that says "Movies" (in your home folder) into the sidebar.
Folder restored.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Just create a new folder and give it the name "Movies" (exact).

Edit: Ignore, doesn't work. Sure it has in the past.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
There isn't one there anymore... Uh oh.

Have you deleted your Movies folder in your account? Not just pulled it out from your sidebar?

I'm not sure how to restore that one, if you cannot re-create it as suggested by elppa...
Perhaps you could create a new account and copy paste it from there. You might run into some permissions problems though.

Thadddeus

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
this happened to me and...

... And when i eventually reinstalled, i remembered that if you are in the finder, cmd+(,) or click finder menu (top left) and go to finder preferences and go to sidebar... voila!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.