Accidentally Deleted My Documents T_T

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j0k3rb0yx, Jan 29, 2009.

1. j0k3rb0yx macrumors newbie

I didn't put the my documents folder in the trash can and empty the trash. I accidentally took it off the dock, so I went into Macintosh HD in order to put it back on the dock. I went under the "my places" tab and clicked and dragged the my documents tab, but I accidentally let go of the icon before it got to the dock and it disappeared. It was showing the little crumbled up piece of paper icon before it disappeared. So I don't know how to get the my documents folder back. It isn't anywhere on my desktop and it isn't in the Macintosh HD under the "my places" tab. I also don't know how to access the documents that were in there. I can't believe I did this, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sawmaster macrumors regular

Dude, this is mac forums!

Your talking like your running windows!

Leave if this is windows you have.

There's no my places in macs.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Your Documents folder is actually part of your User account.

In a Finder window, click the "home" icon on the left sidebar to see all the folders in your user account. Your Documents folder should be in there. Just drag it to the sidebar to put it back :)

4. j0k3rb0yx thread starter macrumors newbie

@ sawmaster

lol my bad, it just called "places". I go back and forth between mac and windows somtimes =\

5. sawmaster macrumors regular

Oh LOL that's ok! LOL

Do you mean network whenu say my places?

6. j0k3rb0yx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks ziggy, I got it back! Do you know what to do if you accidentally get rid of the "home" icon? I don't plan on doing this lol, just curious.

And sawmaster, no I didn't mean network. When you open up the Macintosh HD icon or I guess its a finder window there are three tabs to the left. One says "devices", one says "places" and one says "search for".

7. ziggyonice, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

And in the case you accidently removed your User folder from the sidebar, you can get to it by going into Macintosh HD > Users folder. From there, just drag your whole user folder (marked by the "Home" icon) to the sidebar.

You can also add other files and folders to the sidebar. Customize it how you'd like.

Done!

8. j0k3rb0yx thread starter macrumors newbie

@ ziggy

Ahhh, I see! Very cool, informative picture too. Thanks 4 the info brotha :D

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Do you mind telling me how you make the arrows and how to put a circle around something through a screen capture :confused:

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Photoshop/Pixelmator/whatever graphic editing program.

11. SMiaVS macrumors newbie

Here's a similar question

I was in the process of trying to drag the "All Documents" folder under the "Search For" sidebar in a Finder window. Apparently that was stupid and it disappeared in a little puff of smoke (as things tend to do sometimes). I have no problem finding any of the documents; however, how do I get the "All Documents" folder back to the sidebar? I've never had a problem putting things back after they disappear before.

Also, the reason I was trying to drag it in the first place, was in an attempt to get the "Araxis Find Duplicate Files" program to scan the entire contents of my computer. Needless to say, it didn't work. Has anyone here used Araxis before? I'm a little confused as to how it works. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm at a loss as to why my hard drive is so full. I have nearly all the contents of my computer (mostly photos and music) on my iPod (Classic--160GB) and they hardly take up any space on it (38.2GB), but somehow seem to be eating up my entire hard drive (70.93GB of 74.21GB). An external hard drive isn't currently an option, due to finances, (I'm using my iPod as backup--set to higher quality photos and enabled disk use) so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.