Accidentally deleted my entire iTunes library HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chrisowenn, Oct 7, 2013.

1. chrisowenn macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So basically earlier today I somehow managed to delete my entire iTunes library. By this I mean that on my MacBook I managed to delete all the music files for every song, so that when I now try to play the songs on my laptop iTunes tells me that the files could not be located. I do still however have all the music on my iPod, so my question is can I somehow transfer all the data and files from my iPod back onto my MacBook?

Any help at all would be much appreciated, this is an absolutely horrifying situation.

Thank you!

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

3. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

'Somehow' being that you deleted the iTunes media folder then. You can't transfer back from an iPod I'm afraid. It literally is a case of importing/downloading all of your collection again. This is why a time machine backup is essential - you could plug in and replace all of the music again hassle free.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

8. chrisowenn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you baypharm for suggesting Senuti, life saver! Now made a backup of the media folder and turned on Time Machine to prevent anything like this happening ever again, thanks guys! :D

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't do a simple backup so they can easily recover from an accidental delete.

Recently I got confused in Disk Utility and deleted my system backup from an external firewire 800 disk...however I had a duplicate backup on another disk in a filing cabinet. I didn't lose anything other than an hour to recover the backup from the backup of the backup.