Accidentally deleted OS X and recovery partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dylspickle, Jan 17, 2015.

1. dylspickle macrumors newbie

Hello, I was playing around with dual booting Ubuntu on my Macbook Pro and it seems like I accidentally deleted my mac partition. Only ubuntu boots on it now.

I tried all the recovery startup commands but none of them work, leading me to believe I also deleted the recovery partition.

Any help in reinstalling OS X on my machine would be greatly appreciated.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Do you have a USB installer for Mavericks or Yosemite? If so, you can use that to reinstall the OS.

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

4. Xeridionix macrumors regular

If your Mac is a more recent model you should be able to use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X. You can do this by restarting your Mac and holding down Command-Option-R right after the start up sound.

More information on Internet Recovery can be found at http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT4718.

In the event that you are unable to use Internet Recovery, you can always use another Mac to download the OS X installer from the App Store and use a Terminal command to create a USB install disk. More information, along with the required commands can be found at http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372.

Alternatively, you can take your Mac to an Apple store and ask them to reinstall OS X for you. They should be able to help you out.

Best of luck and have a great day.

5. dylspickle thread starter macrumors newbie

What size usb stick would I need? I only have a 4gb one at the moment

6. Xeridionix macrumors regular

You'll need one that is at least 8 GB in size to create a USB install disk.