Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coops46

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I must have deleted Preview from my macbook because I cannot find it in spotlight or anywhere! My macbook came with tiger, so i tried to get it from those disks with no luck, then tried the leopard upgrade disc, with no luck.

How can I get preview (leopard version) back?

Thanks!

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
While I doubt you'd really want to do so, an Archive and Install should restore Preview.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Can you use Pacifist on the Leopard install disk? If you use that you should be able to just install the package for Preview.

Edit: It says it costs $20 but I think trial mode has 100% functionality.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Can you use Pacifist on the Leopard install disk? If you use that you should be able to just install the package for Preview.

Edit: It says it costs $20 but I think trial mode has 100% functionality.
I just double checked the documentation for Pacifist, and the only limitation with the "trial mode" is the registration prompt when you first launch the application. With that being said, Coops46, you should be able to restore Preview using Pacifist to the best of my knowledge.

Coops46

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Cheers! I downloaded pacifist and opened up the install discs, but I haven't managed to find preview, does anyone know it's location?
The search function is a bit useless because it directs me to just preview files for icons etc.

Thanks

Edit- dont worry! i was stupid enough to miss the search bar at the side that showed me the app.

cheers for the help

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
youve done it right. search for Preview and select Preview.app in the draw on the right. Apps are packages so they show as folders so make sure you select the Preview package like the image below. click install. use admin privileges and then click replace all when Pacifist asks.

Screencapture 2.jpg
[click for full size]

rekabis

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I want to thank ghall, richthomas and others who commented on this issue; even with Leopard 10.6 I was able to help my father reinstall preview. :D

FYI, he is a new Mac convert, and has had initial issues with the bluetooth touchpad and accidentally moving files of all kinds to the trash. How he is doing this in such a spontaneously uncontrollable way, I have no idea; and I have threatened him with a small squadron of IP security cams mounted in his office just to find out how the heck he is managing to do this… :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.