Accidentally Deleted Shortcut to Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PFunkus, Dec 31, 2008.

1. PFunkus macrumors newbie

Well I got a new macbook the other day, and I went and accidentally deleted the shortcut to my macintosh HD (from the desktop) and from some other place also.. How do I get it back?

P.S. I haven't set up Time Machine yet, or I would have tried using that.

Thanks!

2. amoda macrumors 6502a

Click command and space together, this should bring up finder.

Type in Macintosh HD, you should see the icon, click it.

When the new window opens up look at the top of it, you should see a small icon, double click and drag to the desktop.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no, that opens the Spotlight menu where root directories dont show. its used to find files/folders not hard drives.

open Finder's preferences and select "Hard disks" under General and Sidebar.

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

You're half correct, it does open Spotlight. However, it does locate Macintosh HD. I tried it before writing my original post.

Cheers.

5. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

You're both half right...um, is that even possible? Anyway, when I click command-space it brings up Spotlight, but my HD does not show when I search for Macintosh HD. It must be a setting somewhere that can be clicked to show/not show the HD. Beers....errrr, cheers!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In Finder, go to Finder -> Preferences. Under General, check (or uncheck and then recheck) the "Show [...] hard disks" option.

7. timestoby macrumors 6502

speaking of this,i have a question on something similar. if i drag the mac hd to the doc,will it do that copying thing that would takes minutes from all the stuff being on the hdd.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, it will simply create a link to the hard drive as if you dragged any other folder to the Dock.