Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powdR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Planet earth
OK, this is gonna make a lot of you laugh.
I am learning the Terminal commands, and was playing around with the login script.
While in my home folder, where the hidden ".profile" login fil resides, I typed in:
rm .profile
and pressed enter.

I learned that UNIX has no un-delete. None. Rm, really means: remove.

So, I need to re-create my .profile file somehow. Can somebody send me a copy of their .profile file or help me re-create it? It is in your home folder, but is hidden. Path Finder users can turn on "show hidden files" and then e-mail it to me. I'm not sure if it contains personal information. Check to verify that first :)

Thanks for any and all help! :)
Greets from Oslo.. powdR

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Did you do any customization of your .profile file? If you didn't, then it's likely you don't have a lot to worry about. Mine only consists of appending /Developer/Tools to the search path:

Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/Developer/Tools

If you know what was in it, you can use Terminal to recreate it. The easiest way is to open Terminal, type cd ~ and then type nano .profile (or use whichever text editor suits your fancy), type in the commands and save it. This should recreate it for you.

You can't use Finder to create a blank file and rename it to .profile as Finder will complain about it.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
.profile is an empty file unless you put stuff in yours.

Code:
pico ~/.profile
then ctrl + O to output (write) file
P.S. Lots of nifty stuff to put in .profile

Edit: Doh!!! Need to refresh pages more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.