accidentally deleted the Settings app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sunrisemusic, May 30, 2011.

1. sunrisemusic macrumors member

Hi, I've accidentally deleted the Settings app on my iPod Touch. Is there a way of getting it back without having to do a restore? I have the iReal Book and if I restore I will probably lose all the songs on there (though it might be possible to get them back via the iReal forums), but might also lose a whole bunch of notes and other stuff cos without the Settings I can't back anything up.

PS - iTunes only shows 3rd party apps, not apple apps and I already tried syncing but the Settings app didn't return.

thanks

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're going to have to decrypt the firmware for your device and firmware. If your iDevice is an iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod Touch 4, you must use Snow Leopard to do this. Remember, Google it your best friend.

3. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I assume your iPod Touch is jailbroken? If so - this belongs to "Hacks" sub-forum.

4. sunrisemusic thread starter macrumors member

Hi hitekalex,
    No this isn't jailbroken.

Thanks intell, I'm not quite sure what you mean but I'll go see if I can find more on google.

5. sunrisemusic thread starter macrumors member

(maybe I will cross-post this in iPod Touch forum, rather than just here).

6. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

So how in the world did you delete the Settings app? It is not possible to delete system apps on a non-jailbroken device.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You may wish to review the forum rules before you do that ;)

Indeed. Are you sure that you didn't just move it to a different page?

8. sunrisemusic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Okay, got it, one thread is enough, hopefully this is the most appropriate one area.

Well, who knows, perhaps I didn't delete it but whatever happened it's now totally nowhere to be found. Believe me I've checked and checked and it just ain't anywhere. Can't see it in iTunes either though all other apps are there.
    So - if it's impossible to delete it's going to be somewhere but it's totally not visible.

Here's what happened. It all happened so fast and I had my mind on other things at the time. I think I had picked up the iPod and must have accidentally activated the jiggling cos I noticed all the apps were doing their little song and dance, I went to click the home key to stop them and on the way my finger must have accidentally hit the Settings and deleted it. I was in a hurry to get out the door and didn't notice it at the time but later when looking for an app on my first page I noticed it was in a different position and that there was a now a blank space at the bottom the page, whereas that page is usually 100% full of apps.

I have been able to back up a lot of things using Phone View, and am likely to wind up getting Pod to Mac (on sale right now) to save the major hassle of redoing all my music and playlists (since that app will be useful to me for future iPod upgrades as well).

I googled decrypting but it looks a little complicated and I'm not sure I can even do it with an unjailbroken ipod, so something like Pod to Mac seems simpler and I might lose a few files from some apps but looks like I can regain the iRealbook files (the new version no longer has them but they can still be found online), and whatever things I've done myself that I couldn't back up can be redone or aren't crucial, though a bit of a PIATA!

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot delete the Settings app because there is no 'X' button to delete it. You probably put it into a folder. Use Spotlight on the iPod to search for it.

10. JonLa macrumors 6502

Yep - on a never-jailbroken dvice you can't delete it - no x. you've probably moved into a folder.

Go to the ipod touch's search screen and write "settings" - if it's still on the device it will show up

11. sunrisemusic thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both so much for that - I've never used folders or spotlight search before (don't have hundreds of apps). As per your instructions I found it in a folder on a different page with another app. I must have somehow moved the settings app to the 3rd page and dragged it on top of the other app.

Many thanks again!

12. JonLa macrumors 6502

Great news - and what a relief! Glad it was the simple solution and not the complex (decrypting) that you needed