Accidentally divided my disk partition into two...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sehnsucht, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

...during a botched Linux install (note extra eye-rolling: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:). The partition was 64 GB, but now there are two, one is 45 GB and the other is about 20 GB. No earthly idea how I did that. :confused:

Friends, please enlighten me as to how to restore them back to one single 64 GB partition, preferably without having to reformat and reinstall OS X.

Thanks! :cool:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Delete the second one, then expand the OS X partition.

3. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

How do I delete a partition? :confused: I installed Linux on the other one, now I can just get rid of the other.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Disk Utility in OS X should list the different partitions and should let you delete them.

5. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't:

[​IMG]

"Disk 2" is the partition I want to delete, but it doesn't allow me to. If I select it and press the delete key, DU will act as though it's deleting the partition, but it just sits there with "Preparing to delete volume......." and doesn't do anything. :confused: It's the same when formatted HFS+ or FAT32.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

What happens if you select where it says 'Disk 2' in the left-hand column instead?

7. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I had sorta the same problem when wanting to delete a Linux partition off of my hard drive. I had to go into the partition utility within the install program for the Linux distro (Ubuntu in my case) and delete the partition from there. After that I booted back into OS X and Disk Utility where it showed as unallocated free space and let me resize my OS X partition from there.

8. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

:rolleyes: Well, I've just decided to go ahead and reformat my drive. Just got done backing everything up...

Thanks anyway guys...:cool: