accidentally "erase all media" on jailbroken iphone *need help*

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Drect, May 31, 2012.

1. Drect, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

Drect macrumors newbie

Ok ...

so I had a iphone 4 (GSM) unlocked to tmobile on 4.0.2 with the 1.59.00 baseband (MC319LL)

I wanted to update to 5.1.1, but theres no unlock and im not into the gevy sim stuff.

So, i decided to go with 5.0.1. I download the firmware and proper redsnow app and made a (noBB) proper firmware version.

Put the phone into the super dfu mode that redsnow tells you to use (where its does the limera1n stuff) that allows you to option/atl + restore in itunes and attempted to restore the firmware, but to worked to no avail. and i kept getting the "iphone cannot be restored. Is not eligible for requested build" error.

I know i was using the right firmware, so I tried to use the tiny umbrella fix (uncheck cydia hosts and reboot), the fix using the /etc/ folder, and one more fix that i couldnt remember. Nothing worked.

I got mad and started doing random stuff and ended up doing the forbidden "erase alll media/content/settings" thing and i bricked my phone.

I can get the phone back in dfu mode, but i still cant restore it with my custom firmware.

I am under the impression that I need to update the phone, but I am scared to loose this baseband for unlock purposes.

The phone was given to me, and I can probably get access to the last backup and attempt to restore, but im not sure what I should do.

Even, if i can get the phone back to its old state, I lost at how to update without that stupid ass error.

please help guys.

Thanks

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You needed to stitch your SHSH blobs to your NO_BB Firmware. After that, it should work.

3. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

shsh blobs come from iphone backups right? Im not too well versed on this, but the phoen was given to me, so idk if i hate any shsh blobs

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, shsh blobs have nothing to do with backups.
    You have to use redsnow to stitch your shsh blobs. Are you sure you have 5.0.1 blobs in order to restore to a custom 5.0.1 ipsw?
    If you dont have them you can update to custom 5.1.1 using this tutorial.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=20516
    Whatever you do dont restore to official firmware with itunes or you will lose your ultrasnow unlock for good.
    If you JB tethered with that above link I gave you all you have to do is open cydia and install rocky racoon to untether your 5.1.1 jailbreak.
    Good luck, and take your time. Read and understand what you're doing and dont rush.
    Ask questions here if you have any.

5. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

trying now. I appreciate it

6. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

applejuiced- do you have a mac link for this? I have os x

----------

----------

i assume it works the same way. Ill try

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, same exact steps.
    Just download the Mac version of redsnow from that link.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

9. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

followed all the instructions and i got the "iphone cannot be restored. Is not eligible for requested build" - response AGAIN in itunes again.

Does this have something to do with the fact that my phone is "bricked" because I used the weird "erase settings/content" thing and messed up my jailbreak?

Really confused on how to even get my iphone back to turning on again without updating

10. cutty1 macrumors newbie

I hate to Say it But you might have to revert back to the restore of the original backup and start from scratch....

As Applejuiced said don't rush it ....take your time...:D

11. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

quick update:

I have the computer with the iphones backups in my possession. When I plug it into itunes, the options to restore from the backups do not show. Instead, it just asks me to restore. The backups are 100% on the computer, but I guess not stored as ispw's so it would be impossible to restore without itunes cooperating.

I decided to just download the 4.0.2 firmware and make a non baseband version update, but apparently I cant do this?

Im scared to attempt to restore it to just the regular 4.0.2 firmware because i have no idea what baseband I will end up with.

any suggestions?

----------

hmmmm ... just read somewhere that 4.0.2 does not contain a baseband update, but im still scared

12. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

4.0.2 restore didn't even work. I officially dont know what to do anymore

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Follow AJ instructions and make sure iTunes is pointing to apple not cydia...

14. Drect, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

i went to gs.apple.com and saw that itunes was pointing to cydia, so I checked tiny umbrella and saw that it wasnt the one pointing apple to cydia.

I went to terminal and typed: ‘sudo pico /etc/hosts‘

and erased both lines that said (literally how it looked in my terminal, minus the quotations):

"# gs.apple.com
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com"

then saved the nano editor

Tried to restore with the custom 5.1 firmware that AJ suggested (due to me not having shsh blobs)

still didnt work. Im starting to think that i need that first gs.apple.com line, minus the "#"

15. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

update:

the first time i forgot to use pwned dfu mode. I rebooted my laptop used redsn0w to place the iphone in pwned dfu & tried to use custom no BB 5.1 firmware.

this didnt work either.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try a custom 5.1.1
    I don't think apple signs 5.1 still

17. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

does it matter if its 9B206 or 9B208?

18. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I believe Apple still signs both, but I'd go with the 9B208 anyway if you have to update anyway.

19. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed 9B206 no BB and it worked! Now i need to find a att sim so i can jailbreak with absinth and see if my unlock still works.

thanks guys

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

21. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome.
    Dont forget rocky raccoon to untether your 5.1.1 JB too.

23. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

25. Drect thread starter macrumors newbie

got everything working. Tried to cut my sim card, but it was too old. Had to go to tmobile and and they gave me a free microsim.

Thanks once again guys.

Y'all are on point