Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Hey, I am a resent mac convert and I am a bit new to the mac os.

So I accidentally erased appleworks and I need to know how to restore the program using the factory cd... I don't want to erased the whole computer, so can I just "pick" the appleworks program from the factory restore disk, and just install the program?

Thanks for the help,
Jezreel

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Maybe Pacifist ($20 shareware, free trial) could do it. I've never tried it myself, but I've seen it recommended. According to the product's FAQ, you use Disk Copy to open the .dmg file on the installation CD, and then run Pacifist on the appropriate .pkg file in the disk image.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
There's no need for Pacifist. Just insert the software restore disc and select "Go to Folder" from the Go menu in Finder. Type in "/[Name of disc]/.images/", replacing [Name of disc] with the disc name. This should reveal a folder of disk images, including AppleWorks.dmg. Mounts the disk image, open the "Applications" folder inside it, and copy the "AppleWorks 6" folder to your Applications folder.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
can't you just "pick and choose" which programs you want to reinstall? like a check-list, sort of? anyway, there is no point in spending ANY money on this, because the ibook comes with appleworks for free, so your box should either have a copy of appleworks or a restore disk with appleworks on it. if you are really confused, just go to the apple store's genius bar and maybe they will reinstall it for you...just be sure to bring the disks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
wide said:
can't you just "pick and choose" which programs you want to reinstall? like a check-list, sort of? anyway, there is no point in spending ANY money on this, because the ibook comes with appleworks for free, so your box should either have a copy of appleworks or a restore disk with appleworks on it. if you are really confused, just go to the apple store's genius bar and maybe they will reinstall it for you...just be sure to bring the disks.
You don't have to pick and choose. You can just rerun the OS installer. It will replace anything that is missing, but will leave all current existing files alone.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Hey- this is off topic, but relevant because i was thinking of posting a thread about this.

My idvd has gone awry. I cannot find it for the life of me. Even when I install a blank dvd-r my os will ask me what i want to open the disc with, idvd comes up as an option, but nothing comes up when i choose it. also when ive inserted a dvd+r nothing at all even comes up, not even anything asking me what program i want to open. ive done a harddrive search for idvd, but alas, still nothing even comes up. i know i had idvd at one point and i also know i didnt not erase it on an accident or by any intentions.

what im curious about is can i do the same as you guys stated above about putting the mac os disc in my drive and re-installing idvd that way without losing everything that is currently on my hard drive?

Thanks!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
This is for my family's imac, not my ibook btw. Ok, so if I do a reinstall by starting with the imac software, I won't be erasing my save files or my music folders? I guess I just want some assurance since my mom has important software that can't be lost at all cost... :confused: :( :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
goodwill said:
what im curious about is can i do the same as you guys stated above about putting the mac os disc in my drive and re-installing idvd that way without losing everything that is currently on my hard drive?
I suggest that you try what HexMonkey describes above and see if iDVD can be restored from the installation CD.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
goodwill said:
Hey- this is off topic, but relevant because i was thinking of posting a thread about this.

My idvd has gone awry. I cannot find it for the life of me. Even when I install a blank dvd-r my os will ask me what i want to open the disc with, idvd comes up as an option, but nothing comes up when i choose it. also when ive inserted a dvd+r nothing at all even comes up, not even anything asking me what program i want to open. ive done a harddrive search for idvd, but alas, still nothing even comes up. i know i had idvd at one point and i also know i didnt not erase it on an accident or by any intentions.

Thanks!
I've got an iDVD issue too...the iDVD restorer on the Software Restore CD is broken. It gets about 3/4 of the way through, then fails with a negative Mac OS error number (-34? -5?). I don't really need iDVD anyway (I only ever make data DVDs, which can be done in the Finder), but I was wondering what's going on. Regarding DVD+R and DVD+RW - Mac OS X doesn't officially support those, even if your SuperDrive has hardware-level support. I read somewhere that Apple was considering supporting the plus formats, but apparently hasn't implemented it in Panther yet.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
wrldwzrd89 said:
I don't really need iDVD anyway (I only ever make data DVDs, which can be done in the Finder), but I was wondering what's going on. Regarding DVD+R and DVD+RW - Mac OS X doesn't officially support those, even if your SuperDrive has hardware-level support. I read somewhere that Apple was considering supporting the plus formats, but apparently hasn't implemented it in Panther yet.

Yea I am in the same boat as you are. I don't generally ever burn a dvd unless its for backing up data and as far as the DVD+R goes that would explain why the powerbook didnt recognize it at all. I rarely use idvd, but I think my beef is that I better get it rectified now rather than have it AWOL for a long time ahead and I'll be the first to say it in this thread, UNTIL THE G5 powerbooks come out!! haha

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
jsupetran said:
This is for my family's imac, not my ibook btw. Ok, so if I do a reinstall by starting with the imac software, I won't be erasing my save files or my music folders? I guess I just want some assurance since my mom has important software that can't be lost at all cost... :confused: :( :eek:

Any response to this? :confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jsupetran said:
There is no need to worry, jsupetran. Running the iMac software restore won't affect any of your other programs besides the programs it's restoring. Your home directory, and the home directories of other users, are completely unaffected by the software restore (the restore process doesn't even touch the Users folder, which is where all the user directories are). I've restored software with data in my user folder and various other software installed, and all of it worked fine after the restore.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
There is no need to worry, jsupetran. Running the iMac software restore won't affect any of your other programs besides the programs it's restoring. Your home directory, and the home directories of other users, are completely unaffected by the software restore (the restore process doesn't even touch the Users folder, which is where all the user directories are). I've restored software with data in my user folder and various other software installed, and all of it worked fine after the restore.

Yay, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.