iPad Accidentally highlighting and deleting text with ios9 keyboard tweaks

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by sortapundit, Sep 18, 2015.

1. dancj macrumors 6502

dancj

Just adding my name to the list. It's a complete nightmare.

2. ed. macrumors member

Hey is anyone on iOS 11 beta 1 able to test this again? Or maybe check if you can disable it in the preferences?
    Just write some text and then hit two keys very quickly, like I and J with your middle and index finger. If you select the text you just typed... : (

3. CindiLouWho macrumors newbie

4. ed. macrumors member

sadly, the only fix seems to be using an external keyboard...

5. AdeByrne macrumors newbie

This is driving me up the effing wall
    What the hell is being done about it?

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

This is an old thread from a few years ago. Are you encountering a new problem in iOS 11 or still going bonkers in iOS 9? I know in iOS 11 I keep accidentally deleting the last word I type before pausing to change the keyboard to get a question mark or any other punctuation mark that’s not a comma or period.

7. dancj macrumors 6502

dancj

I’m still getting it on iOS 11.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Oh wow. I can’t say that I do but I probably hold the iPad differently.

Bummer.

9. dancj macrumors 6502

dancj

That said, I just tried typing a load of text to try to make it happen, and it didn’t. So maybe I imagined it and they have fixed it really.

10. AdeByrne macrumors newbie

Yes it's my iPad air with the latest OS.
    It has nothing to do with how you are touching the keys, it's just speed. One word it really struggles with is "the". If I type "the <space>" then once every few times it will select the word, sentence or paragraph and when space is hit it deletes them. It is mostly I think because I type this word very quickly.
    However, I have found a solution that does not include counting between keypresses.
    Go to app store and download SwiftKey.
    I have found so far that it does not have the problem

Ade

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Oh well what you described is what’s happening to me but I only noticed it in iOS 11, not iOS 9. What I thought I saw when that happened was the keyboard actually changing as I use it. The space bar shortens and another key temporarily appears next to it which says “undo” and I’ll hit it by accident and undo some of my typing. Somehow I hit the key to activate the numbers and symbols keyboard that changes the keyboard.

However I did not tend to make this mistake prior to iOS 11.01 I think.

12. AdeByrne macrumors newbie

13. Ulukai macrumors newbie

Ulukai

I just finally searched if anyone else is encountering the problem. I’ve been experiencing this since I bought my iPad Pro 10,5 in June so it’s been on iOS 10.3, 11 and 11.1.

It’s so damn annoying that I tend to leave the room and sit myself in front of the computer although I got the iPad to use it as a full substitute in the first place.

My question is: What is actually happening? What kind of feature is this because I just don’t get how it’s supposed to work even IF you were going to use it as a feature.

14. Siggi Valur macrumors newbie

Siggi Valur

Go to Settings > General > Keyboard and switch off "Shortcuts".

15. tvamvarg macrumors newbie

16. joshuamakesmile, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

joshuamakesmile macrumors newbie

Confirming, this is still happening on iOS 11.2.1 - and I’m not aware of any fix, other than external keyboard, or using a different soft keyboard from App Store.

For anyone wondering, here is an example method of reproducing the problem:
    • Type “in” or “on” with your right hand, very quickly.
    Because these letter sets are near each other, the finger touches can overlap to such a way that the keyboard interprets the quick taps as something else, and selects the last word, or sometimes even the last whole sentence you’ve typed... and since you’re full steam ahead, the very next thing you type replaces the selection.

Many words can trigger this behaviour, for me it’s words with two letters close together typed by the same hand... e.g. the pl in “play” does it.

***The root cause: try tapping two fingers together on the keyboard: It selects the previous words. If you keep tapping two fingers on the keyboard, it selects an even larger portion of what you just wrote... a whole sentence, or paragraph even. Not sure if this is a “feature”, but it’s definately something the keyborad does.

My suggestion to Apple would be, if they can’t tweak the touch behaviour to handle fast typing, then allow users to disable the two-fingers-to-drag/select feature entirely.

The rage I experience... as I’m taking fast notes on a lecture, deep in thought, and then this stupid behaviour wipes out my notes, then have to start violently shaking my iPad to get the undo modal... cannot be expressed.

It’s happened 3 times just while typing this.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    If you’re reading this, and this is a problem for you, please go here and report it. I just did, maybe enough of us can “squeeky-wheel” this thing. https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

17. Fromager macrumors newbie

Fromager

How about just installing a third party keyboard? E.g. SwiftKey. Works for me.