Accidentally hitting the touchbar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by utekineir, Dec 30, 2016.

1. utekineir macrumors 6502

Am i alone? Or is this just an ape hands problem?

Seems like i almost cant use a browser, send an email, or do other things without the touchbar being accidentally hit. Sending off an email in the middle of writing it in particular has happened far too many times, the other mistaps atleast are nonconsequential.

That alone has me on the fence and ready to go nontb, or grab a 14/15 mbp off cl cheap.

2. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

There have been other users who have had the same problem so you aren't alone. Guess you'll adapt over time.

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Haven't had this problem at all. I keep my fingers at home row when typing, so I actually have to go out of my way to select anything on the Touch Bar. Same thing applied back when I used computers with function keys.

4. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

yes, when i let my hands to rest on the keyboard, i sometimes accidentally touch something on the touchbar.. also when using numbers, i may hit some buttons on the touchbar.

5. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Face it. Apple doesn't know what to do next when it comes to upgrading and improving the MBP. So they introduce the half way touch screen.

6. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

I accidentally hit escape on the touchbar a whole bunch for the first 3 or so days I had it. I ended up adapting pretty quick though--I'm sure you will too!

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Touch bar? No. I do sometimes accidentally hit the giant trackpad and tap-to-click when I don't mean to.

8. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

13 or 15"?

In 13" is working fine, i havent had any issue.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't go that far. I think the TB is in response to touch screens, but its not that they don't know what to do, but rather what can they introduce to make the MBP different and draw people in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure the TB is something that will be beneficial but I will give Apple credit in trying something bold. We've long complained about Apple not innovating, and yet we complain when they roll out something completely different and unheard of. Throwing a touchscreen on the MBP isn't innovation, its just following the crowd. With that said, I think that would be the correct approach but I don't run apple ;)

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

15". The one on the 13" does seem smaller and seems like it wouldn't be an issue.

11. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I don't have a TBMBP (yet), but since the touch bar is the same row as the function keys -- and at the risk of saying "you're doing it wrong" -- I have to wonder how some of you are placing your hands and accidentally hitting the touch bar.

Is it when you're typing numbers and symbols? I can't think of any other keys up there that you'd use in normal typing besides Delete and the tilde (`) key (mainly `, because of using it to cycle through windows).

Attached Files:

12. dpny macrumors regular

Yep, but then I have big hands and haven't done any serious typing on a laptop keyboard in a decade. I'm sure I will adapt.

13. utekineir thread starter macrumors 6502

Guess my gripe is that even a light brush activates the tb keys, unlike function keys that actually had to be pressed.

Have gotten better over the last week.

But still trying to find a reason where the tb is actually useful in day to day use for me. As of right now its mostly a failed gimmick.

Currently

tb upsides: touch id, not cut down in ports and specs like the ntb machine.

ntb upsides: no touch bar

14. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

When you have it on your lap, your hands will rest closer to the screen. Then it happens. Same when typing. Accidentally.