Accidentally imported video into iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by azyaria, Dec 30, 2011.

1. azyaria macrumors newbie

I took some photos and video with my camera this past week and uploaded everything into iPhoto without giving it a second thought. When iPhoto asked if I wanted to delete the photos off of my camera, I said yes.

All of my photos transferred fine but my videos are missing. Is there any way to recover these? Does iPhoto have an area where it would have imported the photos?

I'm using OS 10.6.8 and iPhoto 11 (v9.2.1).

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

iPhoto just imports video the same as it does photos and puts them in the same event as the photos you imported.

3. azyaria thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, my. I didn't see the video icon at all. The first frame of all my videos looks identical to my photos.

What a relief. Thanks

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For my workflow, I never let the application delete images on my memory card. Its just too dangerous, especially if there was a hiccup on the import.

My advice is to do the import, keyword/categorize and work on your pics/videos. Once you're satisfied with your stuff, then go ahead and delete them manually.

It also doesn't hurt to back them up from the memory card to a secondary location if you want to be doubly sure but I personally don't do that.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Some say that it's possible to corrupt the camera's card doing it that way. I always delete from the camera.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do the same thing... I never let an app delete data from a flash card. In fact... a pro showed me once that I should always reformat the card in the camera rather than deleting the pictures. You can often get faster write speeds to the SD card after a fresh format. Most DSLRs (certainly Nikon) have a "fast format" by holding down two buttons for a few seconds... and pushing them again to confirm the format since it is common amongst pros. I have extended that practice even into my P&S cameras.

/Jim