Accidentally installed OS X over BootCamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryman711, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ryman711 macrumors newbie

ryman711

I'm not entirely sure what happened but I decided to try and install another version of OS X on my MacBook Pro Early 2011 basically as a third boot, while already running OS X Yosemite and Windows 7 Professional via BootCamp. After everything was installed I went into the Startup menu and my windows disk was not there. After using Disk Utility it seems as though the new OS X wrote over some data that my BootCamp was using. I deleted the partition and now I have disk06 and disk04 greyed out and I can't repair or do anything to them. Using gdisk shows my BootCamp partition but I can't actually access the Windows Partition.

I also belive I created a blank partition and used some partition resizer to add more space to my Windows partition a few months ago and I think that is what the new OS X decided to write over. But the main partition is still there.

Any ideas on how I can repair my BootCamp without having to erase it or my entire computer? Even if it means all my Windows data is gone, I'd like to just have access to it so that I don't have to go through installation and activation again.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you "over-wrote" the Windows installation with the OS X installation, the Windows installation is most likely "gone", and a re-installation may be your only option...