Accidentally moved a folder, more complicated than it sounds, please help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AceFernalld, Aug 26, 2008.

1. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Hello, MacRumors members, I recently encountered a problem with my new iMac and I really need some help, my OCD is getting to me.

My problem is that the "Applications" folder is no longer listed under my Home folder. Somehow I deleted the shortcut to the Applications folder in my Home folder, and now I can only get it back by copying the items, which I don't find to be a helpful solution.

My Applications folder is still fully in tact in Austin's iMac > Macintosh HD > Applications but it is no longer shown in my Home folder like it was when I first purchased the computer.

Someone please help me out in getting the default Applications folder to shop up in my Home folder so I can access them directly from there.

Thanks very much for any help I may receive,
    Ace :apple:

2. msheldrick macrumors regular

Go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and then check the box next to Applications

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did you have anything in that folder? That applications folder is for user-specific apps, all others belong in the Macintosh HD > Applications folder.

He's not talking about the sidebar, rather the actual Applications folder in the home folder.

4. AceFernalld thread starter macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I'm not talking about the sidebar, I'm talking about the Home folder which includes the folders Applications (not any more) Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, Sites.

This home folder is under the location of Austin's iMac > Macintosh HD > Users > Austin and used to show the Applications folder inside of it.

5. AceFernalld thread starter macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I don't know if I fully understand what you're asking, but what I'm saying is that I still have all of my applications, but the Macintosh HD > Applications folder is no longer shown in the Home folder, and I would like to get it back there.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If you want a shortcut of your Applications folder in your Home folder (I don't think Leopard comes that way), then open your hard drive, and start to drag your Applications folder over to your home folder under places. DONT LET GO. Still holding the mouse button, you should see a green + icon meaning copy - press CMD-OPTION (still holding the button), and you will see the shortcut symbol. Now let go of the button and you will create a shortcut in your home folder. If it doesn't look right, press ESC and start over. Be careful NOT to copy or move your applications folder...

It sounds trickier than it is...

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They are two DIFFERENT application folders, the one in the home folder is for that user only. You'll be fine without it, copying the main Applications folder there will only complicate things by having two copies of apps.

You could add an Alias to the Mac HD > Applications folder if you want. Directions ^^^^

8. AceFernalld thread starter macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Thanks very much.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No problem, actually, most fresh installs don't include the Applications folder in the user's home folder. If that user wanted their own apps, they'd have to create the folder themselves.

It's less confusing with only one Apps folder.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I don't have an Applications folder under my home folder...

Mac HD > Users > My Name

Got one under

Mac HD > Applications

Simply got access to it on the Finder Sidebar under Places ...

---

If I wanted to restrict Applications to My current account I'd add an Applications folder to the my user folder. Since I'm not controlling access to apps with users, its not a big deal.

---

If you really want it in your home folder,

1 in finder just highlight Mac HD > Applications hit "Make Alias"

2 drag that "Applications Alias" to the home folder

3 rename file by removing the word alias

If you do this, it'll link back to the main applications folder ... if you create a new applications folder and it isn't an alias -- only that user will be able to use those apps.

11. AceFernalld thread starter macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Hah, I must of created it myself then thought it was there all along, and I'm usually pretty good with computers :p

I did some Googling and yeah, everyone's screenshots show no applications folder in the home folder, I must be pretty spacey today. :eek:

All the best to you guys, and have a hoard of great days,
    thanks,
    Ace :apple:

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have one too, I'm not sure how it got there, but I use it for the apps I'm just trying out - not sure whether to keep them or not.

13. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Also if you just create a new folder in your home directory called 'Applications' it will appear correctly.

There is nothing special or unique about these folders other than apps commonly look for those names.