Accidentally overwrote OS X during Bootcamp install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aluminumapple, Jan 7, 2009.

1. aluminumapple macrumors regular

recently i got the new macbook aluminum 2.4 ghz model and i wanted to install windows xp on it, so i baught it (genuine sp2) and went on boot camp and it asked me the standard questions how much partition space i wanted to put, and i put 132gb for the osx and 100gb for the windows xp, and so i started installing the xp, and when i got to the partition part i only saw 1 partition and that was the 132 gb, and thought that was the 100 gb windows xp partition i had made (yes im a stupid IDIOT) and clicked on it and it started installing, after it finished it rebooted and i held options and i only saw Windows, so it was weird that i saw that when i followed instructions on youtube and the web and when i clicked on the windows than i just got a blank black screen with _ flashing back and forth doing nothing, i couldnt use my keyboard mouse Anything. Now iv realized i partitioned the osx and i feel really stupid and feel useless is there anyway to fix this?

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Restart with the c key held down with your MacBook restore disk.
    Then, start over with setting it up again.
    Good Luck!

3. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

i cant take the disk out, by pressing the eject on the keyboard how could i take the disk out manually?

edit: c key held down doesnt do anything do you mean control? options key? ... sorry im very new to the mac

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Ouch. I've never done an OS X install from scratch. Pretty sure it's possible though. Or head to the Apple store.

5. cablebob1 macrumors newbie

Bootcamp

I don't know of any other way than to reinstall OS X and then windows. Sorry I couldn't help much. Maybe someone else can. Hope you get your issue fixed!

6. cablebob1 macrumors newbie

Bootcamp

Hold the power button down to reboot. Then boot back up holding the Option button. When you see windows try to eject then. IF that does not work, try installing windows and then the drivers to eject the disk. Hope that helps.

7. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

EDIT I CANNOT CHOOSE A DESTINATION IN WHICH TO INSTALL IT INTO...

8. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

new problem arose, i retstarted back into mac osx install with restore disk but when i wanted to click the destination in which i wanted to install my mac osx i had no destinations and it was just blank and could not advance further... any help...?

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That's because there's no longer a Mac-formatted (ie. HFS+) partition. Exit the install process and with the DVD still in the drive, go to Tools -> Disk Utility and erase your whole internal drive, and format as MacOS Journaled. When you exit Disk Utility, restart the install process.

10. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

thank you
    thanks to all who helped me and who have tried to help me.

the mac community is for sure one who helps out fast to others who are in need of help.

11. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Another tip that may be useful in the future: if you hold down the mouse button *during startup* (if you are using a USB mouse it's the left button) the system will eject anything in the primary DVD drive.

Edit:
    Thanks Bengt77, I was thinking it but forgot to type it...

12. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

There. Fixed that for you.

13. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

after this mess, whenever i try any partition and try to install windows xp i keep getting a message that says C:131 GB.. even if i only partition 40gb, 5 gbs...

14. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Sorry for kinda forgetting about this thread.
    Anyways- where are you getting this error?

15. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

1 hint I could try to give you would be to repair the disk in Disk Utility.
    Open up a Spotlight Search and just Search for Disk Utility.
    Then, on the left hand side, select your primary Hard Drive, then click Repair.
    If there are errors, insert you MacBook Restore DVD and click install Leopard.
    However, once it boots into the DVD, go to Disk Utility and repair the Drive from there.

Something like this just happened to me a few days ago, and I couldn't repair the Hard Drive at all in Leopard.
    Eventually, I tried booting into the Restore DVD and using the Disk Utility from there- and it worked Perfectly!
    Good Luck!

16. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

i went into os x and pressed repair, it said my hd was completely fine and after it finished i tried to install xp again and it came up with the same problem except this time no matter how many partition i make with bootcamp it keeps saying i only have one place to install xp onto and is

C: 131gb Unknown

even if i partition only 80gb or 40 gb through bootcamp it keeps on saying 131 gb unknown and that is the only option i see.

17. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

I've had a similar problem in the past, now that I think about it. When using the GUID partitioning format (needed for Intel booting on the Mac), Disk Utility doesn't seem to always properly sync the GUID partition table with the MBR wrapper leading to DU saying everything is fine and anything using the MBR format (ie: Windows or the BIOS layer) to report an incorrect partition scheme. I can't remember exactly how I got by this but I believe it was by doing a zero all data in DU, creating the partitioning scheme I wanted and then running Boot Camp and selecting my secondary partition. This bug created some rather nasty results when I tried to edit the drive in gparted as well.

18. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

im not that familiar with macs as im so used to pcs but how can i change the all data in DU? could you give me a step by step on how i can solve this problem? its really starting to bug me

19. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Have you ran Boot Camp assistant and Partitioned the HD with it?

20. renoir macrumors newbie

I have a very similar problem. After years of a trouble free mac existence, i am facing the black screen of death.

Using bootcamp utility on my macbook pro i tried to install windows XP and 1/2 way through the install i realized XP was being installed on my main partition, not the secondary bootcamp partition. mistake #1

At the XP setup screen i had the options to 'setup windows' 'restart' or 'cancel' fearing for my computer, i cancelled. mistake #2

Now upon bootup i receive a HD icon with the word windows written below it. clicking on this gives the black screen of death.

I next tried to use the OSX 10.5 install disk to reinstall my mac from time machine. no luck.

Running disk utility, the original Macintosh HD is displayed as a file icon (white piece of paper) not a hard drive. bad news

Apparently the partial XP install left my hard drive in a state of windows limbo, and DU doesn't recognize it anymore. running verify produces no errors, but the available bytes is 0.

Apple tech support recommended that i finish installing XP, and then use DU to format the drive, but they cautioned that they do not support windows and this was only a guess.

I don't want to render my hard drive inoperable, does anyone know how i can get it working again? at this point im not worried about having XP installed, i just want leopard back.

Mac and Windows are like Democrats and Republicans - put them in a confined space and eventually they won't get along.

21. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Man, that's signature material, right there! :D

22. After G macrumors 68000

After G

renoir, an idea that might work is to clean install Leopard (after formatting your HD with Disk Utility) and then restore from your Time Machine backup.

23. renoir macrumors newbie

The problem is that the install disk will not recognize the harddrive, even after formatting hfs extended journaled

24. aluminumapple thread starter macrumors regular

after 22 hours of trying to install windows xp i gave up and i know what you mean by black screen of death i have gotten it 4 times in a row, but i can always change the os.

i dont know why you cant do it but i could always install leopard no matter what happened to me, at the start up id press option and it take me to that gray spot after i would insert the disk and i would see Mac OSX disk and i could always reformat drive there but i dont know why yours isnt working :S..

Edit: heres something you can try out that might work, if you can Still goto Disk utility click on your hard drive goto Erase than choose Journaled and choose from Security options : ZERO Out Data.

that basically makes your computer literally put 0s in all places and lets you start a Clean slate Hard drive.

P.S after you do this and it works make sure at system preferences to always retart to the mac hard drive, as the clean slate doesnt recognize to do that.

25. renoir macrumors newbie

I read in the setup that the windows partition should be 32 GB for maximum compatibility. this might help you

Has anyone been able to confirm this?