accidentally quit launchd process, now chrome won't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atomicboy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. atomicboy macrumors newbie

atomicboy

i was trying to completely uninstall glimmerblocker when i mistakenly quit the "launchd" process in activity monitor.
    suddenly only my wallpaper was showing, so i did a hard reboot.
    everything seems ok, but i had chrome running when i quit launchd and now it won't work. it will open, and i can even install new themes, but can't navigate to any pages. i have an internet filter called covenant eyes, but i don't think that did anything because i'm using firefox fine right now as i type this.
    also, my laptop is now re-indexing everything for spotlight.
    any ideas on what went wrong?
    i'm on a white 13-inch macbook running snow leopard.
    thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Try a standard reboot? Might fix it after that. Or, try a Safe Mode reboot. I think that fixes some issues if it finds any.

4. atomicboy thread starter macrumors newbie

atomicboy

hmmm...i've tried both, except the safe mode reboot. but i don't think that would change anything after re-downloading chrome.

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

It could be a lock-file that got stranded when you killed launchd. If you don't already know, launchd pretty much controls all programs on your computer, so killing it basically kills everything except the base OS. When an application gets shut down improperly, it can sometimes leave files stranded on the system.

6. atomicboy thread starter macrumors newbie

atomicboy

hmm so what do you think i should do? how can i rescue the stranded lock-file?
    i tried booting into safe mode once and that didn't help anything.

the error i'm getting in chrome is:
    Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error.

7. atomicboy thread starter macrumors newbie

atomicboy

now i can't connect to the itunes store either...:mad:

8. atomicboy thread starter macrumors newbie

atomicboy

Yay!

so i think launchd had nothing to do with it (other than forcing me to restart). it was all glimmerblocker. in trying to uninstall glimmerblocker completely, i reinstalled it and uninstalled it...which messed up the proxy-whatever (in these grounds i don't know what the heck i'm talking about). so i followed the advice of one post on another site and went to safari>>preferences>>advanced>>change settings... and unchecked "web proxy"
    everything is working again! i didn't even know safari wasn't working, but i had also noticed that i wasn't getting any rss feeds downloaded in mail. so it couldn't have been chrome. and now i have chrome back.

thing is, i still have this stupid glimmerblocker proxy thing going on in my console:
    [​IMG]

any idea how to get rid of this once and for all?