Accidentally removed App folder from dock...now where are my Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alandlc, Aug 1, 2011.

1. alandlc, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

alandlc macrumors newbie

Might be a dumb problem, but I accidentally removed the Applications folder from Dock, and now the folder is almost completely empty (the only things left are Steam games). The same items show when I access the folder via Finder. The apps haven't been uninstalled, it's just that the folder itself is empty. Is there a way to get the original folder's contents back other than manually replacing each app back into the folder? If it matters any, I'm running on Lion.

Edit (for clarity): The original Applications folder itself is missing all of its contents with the exception of Steam games. Even when the Applications folder is re-added to the dock, it's still missing all of the applications.

2. Riverrun, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

Riverrun macrumors regular

Finder/Devices/Macintosh HD and drag the Applications folder back into the dock.

3. alandlc thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I wasn't really clear, but in the original post I said the Applications folder--even when accessed via Finder--is completely empty with the exception of the Steam games. Thus, when I re-add the Apps folder to my Dock, it still has ONLY Steam games.

4. Princess Cake macrumors regular

Princess Cake

There's 2 Application folders. Go to your top level system folder and there should be another Applications folder. That's the one that has all your goodies in it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at the image in the link I posted. That's where your /Applications folder is. Not in your user folder. Also, you can use Spotlight to search for any of your apps, then Command-click it in the search results to open the containing folder.

6. alandlc thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks GGJstudios and PrincessCake. The link you sent was a little confusing because when I open Finder, it doesn't list "Macintosh HD" under "Devices". I guess I somehow overlooked the "Applications" folder under "Favorites" that it listed instead, but I had to right-click that, "Open Enclosing Folder" then I could drag and drop that folder into my dock. :)