Accidentally removed cydia; need help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MNFL, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MNFL macrumors member

MNFL

i accidentally removed cydia. i looked up ways on youtube, but they all require iFile, and i don't have that :(

Is there another way? or maybe a way to get iFile so i can proceed with the same steps from youtube?

thanks

2. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

3. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

yes. i tried to download iFile on my friends iPod. then opened SSH, and copied the file, and pasted it in the same directory in my iPhone. but that didnt work, the icon showed on the springboard but didnt open. i guess the installer had to run.

So again, what did u have in mind regarding SSH? :)

4. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

My guess was going to be to SSH all cydia files into your device. I attached all files associated with Cydia (according to AppInfo)

View attachment ROOT.zip

If that doesn't work, try figuring out how to reinstall just cydia using absinthe.

5. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

Great i'll give it a try. Should i copy-paste that into var/stash/applications?
    or what?

6. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

ROOT is symbolic for the root directory, and all other files in the zip are placed where they need to be placed on your phone. Follow the folder paths, and create paths if needed.

7. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

I extracted the content, then went inside the root folder, copied the individual folders inside, SSH-ed into my iPhone, and copied them inside a folder named root (var/root). Is that right?

8. cclloyd, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

No.

The paths are like
    /Applications
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
    /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
    /var/lib/cydia

And so on.

And it's probably a good idea to reboot after you ssh them in to make sure it works properly.

9. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

Thanks for putting up with me, but sadly it didnt work.
    here's what i got: Video

10. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Did you actually remove cydia? Have you tried to search on Spotlight?

11. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

It is fairly simple just rerun the jailbreak and BOOM!!!! you got cydia back:D

12. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

um, well, what exactly happened is that i jailbroke from 3.4 to a tethered 5.1 because it gave me over 20 errors when i tried 5.0.1
    anyways, when i was done, push-notifications weren't working. so i went to cydia to install pushdoctor. it went on for long, then got stuck at the end. stupidly, i rebooted my phone to get done with it. then it gave me a database error. so i went to SSH, and based on some youtube videos, deleted it. the next step on youtube was to launch the provided installer in iFile, which i didn't have, so yea ...

----------

I have tried that, using redsnow. unfortunately, that gave the same result of a nonfunctional icon. maybe i should try again :)

13. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

14. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

i tried to re-jailbreak using redsnow, but it didn't work. maybe i should give it another try if nothing else works
    and i didn't want to restore because then i'd have to start from 0 again, since everything gets removed, right?

15. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Yes everything will be removed but you'll have a working phone. After you do a fresh install of 5.1 you can attempt the jb again and see how it goes. Then if good I'd sync your info back from iTunes backup.

16. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

Yup. im keeping that as a last resort, there are many settings that i'd have to reset.

17. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

FIXED : i attempted the jailbreaking for a third time, and it finally worked :D Cydia is back on! thanks!!

18. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Your welcome,I'm glad to help:)