Accidentally Upgraded with PDF Patcher Installed

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by appleguy123, Jul 8, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I didn't want to have to redownload all of my apps, so I updated instead of restored, thing is I left PDF Patcher on the phone. Is there anyway to get it off my phone without restoring, keep in mind that I don't have Cydia on the phone. can I openssh it off?

2. Invid macrumors newbie

What do you mean, you left PDF patcher on the phone?

iPhone upgrades wipe the OS partition before re-installing. iPhone restores wipe the OS and User partitions before re-installing.

In neither case should jailbreak apps survive the re-install. Some of them may continue to take up space if the app was installed to the user partition and symlinked from the system partition, but once the symlink is deleted by the update, the OS can't see it or access it anymore.

Worst case scenario, you may see more "Other" space than normal in iTunes if you update instead of restoring, but again, in neither case will your jailbreak apps (or patches in this case) survive in working order.

Does that help?

You can't use OpenSSH to remove it without jailbreaking again, because as I mentioned the OpenSSH executable is wiped by the update / restore. You can't connect if there's no longer a server to connect to.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't know much about jail breaking, so you could be right, but why won't Cydia install on my phone?
    It starts to download, then deletes itself.

4. Invid macrumors newbie

First thing to try, assuming that the website itself is responsive and not overloaded, is restart your phone before trying again.

If the website seems slow, just wait and try again. If your download gets interrupted because the site is overloaded, the jailbreak will fail.

If both of those fail, or aren't a problem, try restoring again. I've had the occasional weird problem where a restore doesn't seem to "stick." I have no idea why, because they should, but sometimes, when all else has failed, another DFU restore does the trick.

For future reference, restoring instead of upgrading is best practice. It may take a little longer, but it's the more reliable way to get back to a 'known good' condition for your device.

Good Luck!

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Rebooted and tried again. Cydia stays loading, but then itmgets to the installing screen and immediately hangs up. Thats why I think it could be PDF Patcher.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Use another jailbreak. If PDF Patcher IS still installed, there's not a lot else you can do.

7. Invid macrumors newbie

If you see Cydia on the springboard at all, even for a second before it crashes, PDF Patcher isn't the problem. You wouldn't even get that far if the exploit was patched.

Just to clarify, I'm assuming that you're trying to use jailbreakme.com, correct?

8. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes. Cydia is there for the whole loading phase, but then deletes itself as soon as it says installing.

9. Invid, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

Invid macrumors newbie

Well, there you go, then. PDF Patcher is gone...the security model of the iPhone will not allow executables to be installed to the phone from Safari.

They may look the same on the springboard, but web apps and executables like Cydia are completely different from the OS' point of view. Cydia showing even for a second on the springboard means that the iPhone's security measures have been defeated.

Try the other troubleshooting measures, including a different jailbreak method if you're not on an iPad 2.

To be honest, if it crashes at 'installing', it sounds like you may need to restore. You've broken out of the browser sandbox, but the install is failing somewhere else. If you can't get redsn0w to work either, plug into your computer and make a manual backup (just for insurance in case the automatic backup gets corrupted -- it happens occasionally), then restore.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Look, iTunes gives you the option to restore to backup, so using upgrade versus restore is just silly.
    If you want this to work, make sure you have a good backup in iTunes. Upgrade, not restore to 4.3.3, choose set up as new. Give the phone a new name (temporarily) so as not to override your last good backup in iTunes. Go to Jailbreakme site and jailbreak.
    When done, go to iTunes and right click on your iPhone and choose restore to backup. Select the last good backup.
    Done !

11. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

I had this problem with my Ipad and found the solution to be is to run tinyumbrella then go to the advanced tab and uncheck (Set host to cydia on exit) uncheck that then hit apply changes and you will be good to go!!

OK my question is, Im getting ready to do my 3GS, I will do a RESTORE first then upgrade to the latest 4.3.3 install cydia--then I can go back in and restore from latest backup to get all my stuff back correct??

12. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm trying to use redsnow, amd I hate Lion's new finder! Can someone tell me where ipsw files are stored in that OS?

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yeah, jbme won't do anything if you have it installed, in fact if you try it, it will suggest that as one of the reasons for your being unable to begin the jb.

14. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

If you do what I said Im betting you will be good to go

run tinyumbrella then go to the advanced tab and uncheck (Set host to cydia on exit) uncheck that then hit apply changes and you will be good to go!! Oh yea reboot your computer too after

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I just jailbreaked with redsn0w, and everything was okay. Now I just don't have mobilesubtrate, so I can't install anything. :rolleyes: