Accidentaly spilt some water on my ipod touch 5 while charging?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dinatale, Nov 19, 2013.

1. dinatale macrumors newbie

Last night when I was sleeping I accidentaly hit the glass of water with my hand... I was sleeping and there was only a very little amount of water in it, just a sip. When I woke up, I checked the time on my ipod touch 5g, which was charging, and I realized there was some water on it. Not too much, and in fact I wiped the screen really easily, then I kept sleeping. It was working perfectly at that time. When I woke up for the second time, one-two hours later, the ipod screen was all black and I couldn't turn it on. I realized that there was a little water between the plastic cover and the back of my ipod..I wiped all out, and I plugged off the charger. After all this time, it still won't turn on. And it's dry!! It's completely dry, even if I shake it hard, no water comes out. By the way, I put the ipod in a plastic bag with some small holes in it, and put the bag with the ipod in it in a mug full of rice.. What I can't understand is: it was a very little amount of water that spilled on my ipod touch, and I wiped it out really easily... The ipod seems to be really dry... I think that maybe it's not the amount of water on it which turned it off, but probabily it's the long time that passed from the moment I spilled water on it and the moment I realized what I did and wiped it out...

What should I do?? I can't believe that my ipod is not working for that little sip of water on it! I heard stories of ipods/iphones fallen into the toilet, or into a pool full of water which after a full dry worked well! I'm really appalled, and sad...

PS: sorry for my mistakes, but I'm an Italian who's living temporarily in UK

2. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

It can only get worse. Take it in for repair.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Actually a lot of the time it gets better. Keep it in that rice and really let it dry out. Just because water isn't coming out of it when you shake it, doesn't mean it isn't wet inside.

Turn it off. Put it in rice, leave it for a few days. Resist the urge to turn it on. The waiting game is the hardest part.

4. dinatale thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't turn it on-off... The screen is black and seems dead.. I think it's off since yesterday! I will wait then :(

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

6. dinatale thread starter macrumors newbie

after 70 hours it's still dead :( I'll keep waiting :(

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Honestly, I think the damage has been done permanently. I think you can get a replacement from Apple that you have to pay for. I do not know how much $.

8. dinatale thread starter macrumors newbie

I am afraid that since the ipod was in charge, the water has permanently short-circuited it...

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Certainly sounds as though it is dead. Time for an out of warranty replacement.

10. dinatale thread starter macrumors newbie

hey, I took it at the apple store this afternoon, and guess... they haven't found any trace of water or water damage in it!!! And I told them what happened... But since they didn't find water, they replaced it with a new one for free!! I'm so happy!! :) :)

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

You are very lucky!