Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MP 1,1-5,1 Accidently bought BCM94360CSAX

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
I accidentally bought BCM94360CSAX thinking it was BCM94331CD only to realize when I went to install it in my 4.1 that it was too small. Is there an adapter I can buy or should I just start over? I'm trying to get the best card my Mac can handle. I have successfully gotten Catalina to install and work with my old card BCM94322MC. However, I want to hopefully increase the range and speed of the wifi adapter. What do I need to buy specifically to accomplish this?

Thanks

Borowski

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Yes, possible. You need the same adapter-board as for the BCM94331CD, but also adapters for the antenna-plugs. The card has smaller jacks.

Comment

dlwg

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2016
Yes, possible. You need the same adapter-board as for the BCM94331CD, but also adapters for the antenna-plugs. The card has smaller jacks.

Do you need Wi-Fi or you also need Bluetooth enabled through this card? It is not as easy as getting the card converter, as you also need a USB cable that would go from your old Bluetooth card slot down to the new card...

Anyway, Google for "IPEX 4 To IPEX 1 UFL Female Connector" and get 3 of these, if you just need the right antenna converters.

Comment

Borowski

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
To my knowledge, it works the same way as the BCM94331CD: You have to connect a cable to the original BT-connector, it uses USB-protocol (no USB-plug).

No BT antenna needed, one of wifi-antennas shares bt/wifi. So bt-antenna is obsolete in this case.

Comment

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
I've decided not to jump through hoops on this one. I just got a wifi extender with Ethernet and connected the Mac to that. I'll never get the speed of my router/modem 1Gbps I'm barely getting 100mbps, but it's better than the 20mbps I was getting through wifi alone. I know the card wasn't the only bottleneck and have since upgraded to a mesh system (awesome) but the extender/ethernet combo is much faster than wifi alone and that I know has to be because of the card. Right now, I'm debating even keeping my Mac Pro and just getting a current Macbook Pro and eGPU case. That or sell a kidney and save for the new cheese grater when that's available. Thanks all

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.