Accidently changed my Home name and have lost all files.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LiamPearce, Apr 14, 2010.

1. LiamPearce macrumors newbie

Stupid I know, but I saw my 'home' file was named root and for some reason thought it should be Home so I tried to change it.

Meanwhile about half an hour later I had a power cut. On rebooting the computer, it logs me in to a default user with default settings.

I know many people have done this before and I've been searching the net all day trying to do everything they say. The main difference is, the name wasn't changed and is still root therefore there is no 'old' file somewhere called home with all my files in that I can just swap over or change the name back to what it was before as most people seem to have been able to do.

I've still go the same amount of hard-drive space left that I had before which would suggest the files are on here somewhere.

It's an iMac OSX 10.5.8

I've tried everything I could find on the net and really need help!

2. dgg32 macrumors newbie

I think your "main difference" doesn't exist. In fact, it happened only after the name of your home directory was changed. So I think it is the exact same problem the others had suffered.

If the methods you tried didn't work. Try to use the find command to locate the folder. Suppose you remember the name of one of you photos, open terminal and try:

find / -name name_of_photo

or

find / -iname 'name_of_photo.jpg'

wait until it returns a path. Hope this path can indicate you the location of your old data.

If this also fails, I have heard that log in as root may help.

3. dgg32 macrumors newbie

A german collegue has described exactly what you have experienced:

So, Ihr habt also tau in klappspaten umbenannt, und jetzt ist alles weg.
    Komischerweise heißt Euer Häuschen jetzt auch wieder tau. Son Schiet, alles für die katz.

Schaut mal in Macintosh HD/Benutzer

Dort sollten jetzt mindestens 2 Ordner sein: tau und klappspaten
    tau hat das Häuschensymbol und klappspaten ein blaues Ordnersymbol.
    Ihr nehmt nun alle Unterordner aus dem Order klappspaten, und fügt ihn in den Ornder tau ein. Bestätigt dabei den Dialog "für alle: ersetzen" mit "OK"

Den leeren Order klappspaten könnt Ihr in die Tonne kloppen.
    logt Euch aus und ein oder startet neu!

-> Alles wieder im grünen Bereich.
    Freundet Euch mit der Tatsache an, daß Ihr das Home/Häuschen/ den Kurznamen nicht ändern könnt.
    Jedenfalls nicht so.

Translation:

So you have changed the name from "tau" into "klappspaten", and now everything is gone.

strangly the little house now bears the name "tau" again. xxxxxx, xxxxxxxx

have a look at Macintosh HD/User

There should be at least two folders there: tau and klappspaten.

tau has the house icon and klappspaten carries a blue folder icon.

Now you should copy all the subfolders unter klappspaten to tau, confirm the message "for all: replace" with your "yes".

The empty folder klappspaten can be trashed now.

log out and log in again or restart!!

Everything back to safety.

Be content with the fact that you simply can't change the home folder short name. At least not in this way.