accidently deleted all documents...eeps!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iEric, Nov 10, 2007.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

my idiot friend deleted all the documents he found under the "Search for All Documents" and now some pictures are missing from iPhoto and stuff like that.

The documents are in still in the trash - but i'm not sure how to recover them...I've never had to recover so many things from the trash where the files are suppose to be all over the place. Any hints on how to do this easier?? (In Windows, it just says "Restore files to orginal place" or something like that...any feature like this on the mac?)

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not clear about how this happened, but you can try undo in the Finder (cmd-z). Might work. Either way you will want to get those files out of the Trash post-haste, for obvious reasons.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Any chance you're running Leopard with Time Machine?

4. iEric thread starter macrumors 6502a

he's running Leopard witout Time Machine

mmm this sucks totally

5. comebackdwn macrumors regular

you can easily just go into the trash, highlight them, and drag them to wherever you want

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Just make a folder on your desktop and drag everything in the trash to it, just so those files are out of the trash and you wont accidently delete them. Then once their safe, you can organize them as you please.

7. Fimo macrumors newbie

Fimo

I have to admit that is one feature I miss, very handy when it came time to use it as in your case, I can't believe there is no way to do the same in OS X or am I missing something?

8. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

No, there is no feature like this because no Mac users are this dumb.

There is a reason Microsoft puts features in.

(kidding by the way)

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no you didn't miss anything, there are many small convenience features of windows you can't find in OSX. Last time when I tried to explain why windows trash-file-restoration is better, some OSX users just acted like they totally don't understand.....

No wonder Mac can't get more market share. Guess "just work" don't apply to the mass dumb people, which.... ummmm.. maybe Im one of them as well..