Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianjys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
So here's how it happens, when I tried to install windows , I accidently format the whole hard disk which mean I accidently delete Mac OSX ! I had run internet recovery , and now can anyone help me to recover my lost file. In disk utility, my hard disk have now 3 partitions , 2 of them are named disk0s1 and disk0s1 and the 3rd one are windows partition. Can anyone tell me what disk0s1 and disk0s3 are :confused:? How do I recover my lost file ? If it's impossible to recover can anyone tell me how do I delete that two weird partitions so I can make another partition to install Mac OSX ? Any help will be appreciated ! Thanks !

Last edited:

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
So here's how it happens, when I tried to install windows , I accidently format the whole hard disk which mean I accidently delete Mac OSX ! I had run internet recovery , and now can anyone help me to recover my lost file. In disk utility, my hard disk have now 3 partitions , 2 of them are named disk0s1 and disk0s1 and the 3rd one are windows partition. Can anyone tell me what disk0s1 and disk0s3 are :confused:? How do I recover my lost file ? If it's impossible to recover can anyone tell me how do I delete that two weird partitions so I can make another partition to install Mac OSX ? Any help will be appreciated ! Thanks !

Those names are the unix names for the logical volumes on your disk. On a brand new Mac there will be a couple of those - the main partition that has OS X, plus a hidden smaller partition that contains the recovery system.

If you want to recover and start again, then you need to start Boot camp assistant again and remove the windows partition (if you want to), or you can leave it there for when you install Windows. It sounds like you picked the wrong partition to format when you rebooted and ran the Windows installer, so you probably have an NTFS partition that you don't want. My advice would be to totally nuke and pave the entire drive and install OS X on it from scratch.

Your personal files are gone. If you formatted your OS X partition then that data is gone. You will need to restore from backup. If you don't have a backup then your files are lost I'm afraid.

brianjys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Those names are the unix names for the logical volumes on your disk. On a brand new Mac there will be a couple of those - the main partition that has OS X, plus a hidden smaller partition that contains the recovery system.

If you want to recover and start again, then you need to start Boot camp assistant again and remove the windows partition (if you want to), or you can leave it there for when you install Windows. It sounds like you picked the wrong partition to format when you rebooted and ran the Windows installer, so you probably have an NTFS partition that you don't want. My advice would be to totally nuke and pave the entire drive and install OS X on it from scratch.

Your personal files are gone. If you formatted your OS X partition then that data is gone. You will need to restore from backup. If you don't have a backup then your files are lost I'm afraid.

So this mean I have no other way except do a clean install of OSX again ? :eek:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

You very likely deleted the OS partition and it is non-recoverable. It is possible it is still there though.

Try a boot to Internet recovery and from there open Terminal from the Utilities menu and enter the command "diskutil list" and show us the output.

It will look something like this.

Code:
0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Lion 119.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

The s2 one there would be the OS one and if that is still there we can use Disk Util from recovery to copy it to an external drive. I suspect it is gone though.

(I think you have a typo in your post... you can't have two disk0s1 partitions.)

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
Why have I also got a Disk1?

Code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *251.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            250.1 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *16.1 MB    disk1
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Flash Player            16.1 MB    disk1s2

Barney

brianjys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
You very likely deleted the OS partition and it is non-recoverable. It is possible it is still there though.

Try a boot to Internet recovery and from there open Terminal from the Utilities menu and enter the command "diskutil list" and show us the output.

It will look something like this.

Code:
0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Lion 119.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

The s2 one there would be the OS one and if that is still there we can use Disk Util from recovery to copy it to an external drive. I suspect it is gone though.

(I think you have a typo in your post... you can't have two disk0s1 partitions.)

sorry bout the typo , it should be disk0s1 and disk0s3.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why have I also got a Disk1?

Code:
/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *251.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            250.1 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *16.1 MB    disk1
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Flash Player            16.1 MB    disk1s2

Barney

I'm guessing you have a 16MB DMG file called "Flash Player" you forgot to eject after you installed an app. Open Finder and look in the left column and you should see it there. Just click the up arrow to eject.

sorry bout the typo , it should be disk0s1 and disk0s3.

So you are missing disk0s2? That would be where the OS and your data reside. Short of taking that drive out to a company that specializes in data recovery like this, you are likely sunk. You might try something like Disk Warrior also, but I would not be optimistic.

brianjys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
I'm guessing you have a 16MB DMG file called "Flash Player" you forgot to eject after you installed an app. Open Finder and look in the left column and you should see it there. Just click the up arrow to eject.

So you are missing disk0s2? That would be where the OS and your data reside. Short of taking that drive out to a company that specializes in data recovery like this, you are likely sunk. You might try something like Disk Warrior also, but I would not be optimistic.

It's okay , this laptop doesn't contain much important doc , I have a habit of keeping important files backup but this laptop contain a lot of high quality musics that I hope to recover because some of them r classics which r hard to redownload . maybe I'll just do a clean install of OSX and recover some music from ipod and iPhone . But just to be sure , because disk0s1 and s3 both take up 500mb so it's ok tat I delete it to make room for osx partition ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's okay , this laptop doesn't contain much important doc , I have a habit of keeping important files backup but this laptop contain a lot of high quality musics that I hope to recover because some of them r classics which r hard to redownload . maybe I'll just do a clean install of OSX and recover some music from ipod and iPhone . But just to be sure , because disk0s1 and s3 both take up 500mb so it's ok tat I delete it to make room for osx partition ?

Yes... what you want to do is get rid of all those partitions by doing Internet recovery then in DU select the drive brand name at the very top then in the erase tab format the entire disk to Mac OS Extended. That will kill all those partitions and give you one, large HFS+ partition. Then the installer will recreate the hidden EFI and recovery partitions for you.

brianjys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Yes... what you want to do is get rid of all those partitions by doing Internet recovery then in DU select the drive brand name at the very top then in the erase tab format the entire disk to Mac OS Extended. That will kill all those partitions and give you one, large HFS+ partition. Then the installer will recreate the hidden EFI and recovery partitions for you.

ok , thank you so much for the advices , it really helps a lot !b:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.