Accidently deleted /sbin and kernel panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by burak136, Jul 15, 2012.

1. burak136 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I accidently deleted /sbin directory. Now, when i try to start my mac it goes to kernel panic screen after apple logo.

I tried to start in safe mode by pressing shift after pressing the power button but the result is the same.

Then i tried to start with command + s.
    It shows panic : "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2\n" @/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.15.4/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:2931

And i can't type anything.
    I dont have my mac dvd with me. I juust have an android phone, sd card and external harddrive, and an apple store in Frankfurt.

My mac is macbook pro 5.5. Os version is 10.5.8.

So. Do you have any idea to fix my mac?

Thanks a lot.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

You didn't mention if you had any sort of backup (time machine or CCC or something else maybe?)

3. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that. Nope I dont have any kind of backup. ( i have backups of important files and nothing else )

I will have my dvd almost 15 days later. So is there any method?

Thanks

4. Peace, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Take it to the Apple store. Unless you have a back up of your system there is no way. The /sbin directory is very important . The OS can't run without it.

5. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey.
    Thanks for the answers. I just found a mac os 10.4 install dvd. I inserted the dvd and rebooted. Than pressed on C key. I got just white screen. And no dvd drive rotating.

Tried to start the dvd by pressing option button and clicking on the mac os x install disk. And computer stalled, no cursor movement no dvd rotating.

So is it just because of i am using a install disk which belongs to 10.4 version instead of 10.5.8 or do i have another problem?

Thanks.

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Yes. OS X 10.4 is not supported by a Macbook Pro 5.5. The original OS that came with your Mac should have been 10.5.7. Anything earlier than that will not work.

Just out of interest: How do you accidentally delete /sbin ? :)

7. burak136 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay then i will wait to back home restore with my dvd.

Well about how i did it.

It is all about my foolishness :) I was doing hard drive cleaning. I had some directories which is about mysql/php/apache and some other coding stuff. Since i stopped programming idecided to delete them. And sbin which i tought a part of my coding stuff was one of i deleted in the / directory.

Then i clicked on the emtpy the trash. It did not responded. Then i wanted to restart the computer the solve it. Computer stopped responding. Then i did my final fatal action by pressing on the power button to force the computer to shutdown.

Yeah i use mac book for theere years. But everyone can make mistakes :)

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You should have had a window pop up telling you the /sbin directory can't be deleted because it is needed by the operating system.