Accidently trashed my Time Machine back up folder, wont transfer back from Trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 20thcenturymarc, Sep 8, 2009.

1. 20thcenturymarc macrumors newbie

Hello there.

I'm an idiot, pleased to meet you.

I had 2 external drives connected to my Macbook Pro, both had time machine back ups on...I meant to delete one of these but deleted the wrong one, and dragged it into Trash. On realising my mistake I tried to drag it back out of Trash, as you would normally but after "preparing to copy" for four hours it told me the drive was full...

It's a 500gb drive, and the Time Machine back up is the only thing on it, so presumably it's just trying to copy itself when the back up is still present on the drive, albeit in the Trash.

How do I get my back up folder out of the Trash? Help!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

hello Idiot :)

since i don't use time machine, this may be different than other items put into the trash. I just dragged something into the trash, and then i right clicked on the file, and there is an option to "put back". It seems onto to work on the last item dragged to the trash, and i am sure it is time sensitive.

Also, I noticed that when you right click on other files that don't have the "put back" option, you CAN "copy" the item. I am unsure if you can "copy" and "paste" it back to where you want it. I would search this site, google it and maybe even youtube it, as it is a very valuable resource now a days.

I am sure there is someone else here with more knowledge than I.

Also, is there a padlock next to the file?