Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macwild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
One night when I was overly tired, I accidentally placed my second hard drive in the trash and emptied the trash in my old G4 Sawtooth (ignored warnings, etc.). This machine is not backed up because I only use it for practice. I don't need to retrieve the data on the hard drive, but I would like to re-format it and use SuperDuper to copy the start-up disk to what would now be a new second hard drive.

Problem is, I can't see the "lost" hard drive. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to locate the second hard drive to make it appear in "About this Mac" and on the desktop ? Do I need to physically remove it and re-install it in the case?

I know I did a dumb thing, but I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Do you mean you dragged the drive into the trash?

Hasn't that always meant to mean you unmounted (or ejected) the drive?

I can tell you how to remount it, but it would be easier to just reboot - it'll remount the drive as normal.

[EDIT] Oh yea, man I'm tired.

As spinnerlys said. With Disk Utility, it should show up there. Use that to remount the drive.

macwild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Not sure...

Actually, I usually keep the HD icons at the top of the screen. But, sometimes one of them will suddenly appear at the bottom of the screen near the trashcan. It had moved itself to the bottom of the screen and I may have inadvertently dragged it into the trashcan and then emptied the trash without checking it.

This all happened several months ago. When I reboot, the drive does not appear on desktop.

Anyhow, I clicked Application, Disk Utility.app, and do see hard drive 1 and what appears to be my 2nd hard drive (80gb WD) which says "37.3 GB WDC ROM MODE...SABRE--." It is confusing because I don't recognize the wording except for the WD. The size is wrong. And who knows what SABRE means?

Can I just erase it from this window?

macwild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I'll try...

I'll have to log in on that machine. I'm using a different machine on the forum. Give me a moment...

Sorry, can't do screen shot.

I think I'll just remove hard drive and re-install. Start over from beginning.

Thanks, anyhow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.